Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP task bar random loads

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, thought I'd ask a question myself. I have XP Home sp2 (all updates installed) and I've had this problem for a little while. The taskbar decides to load some things and not others sometimes, most annoying of all is when it leaves the volume control icon out. I still get sound, but I just have to open control panel to adjust the settings. I have quite a few that are supposed to load (like internet security, printer software (2), nokia software (2), speedfan, lan, sound, safely remove hardware (for backup HDD via USB) maybe more, I'm not too sure anymore. Half the time whenever I load windows it's like it is choosing "yes I'll put that one on today" "no, you can have the day off". How can I get the taskbar icons to always load? Is there some way to force them on? I like them all there, they should be all there. And no, I don't have "Hide inactive icons" selected, I hate that feature and never use it.

It's a random selection, but usually the same ones don't load, like volume, and one of the nokia (synchronise), and the printer control program, and the safely remove hardware. Not as often, but sometimes Speedfan fails to load at all.

I know some programs load properly, like even if the printer icon isn't there, I'll still be able to print stuff. Anyone else have the same type of problem? I have always noticed this problem, even after changing hard disks, sata cables, complete re-installs of win xp, I'm wondering maybe it's the motherboard?

Cheers

Sorry I've double posted, I thought Firefox had crashed on me, one can be deleted

Yes thanks Fenor

No problem. I have closed and deleted the other post. :whistling:

Hey how did you edit MY post? Cool...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 09 May 2007 - 08:59 AM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
This is a known problem for XP, and there has been much written about it. Many things are suggested/recommended from logging off/on to disabling the Upnp service. In the end we almost all resort to Kelly's Taskbar Repair Tool:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh that looks nice, I'll give it a shot. Anyways, just when I started my comp this morning everything was fine! Like it's teasing me, but I'll never turn my computer off again! Ha ha ha, I'll teach it a lesson...

oh and thanks 1101doc, I could find heaps of stuff but not much that seemed relevant and/or helpful...

Edited by ruthandtroy, 09 May 2007 - 03:42 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
To anyone who cares: after much drama, I completely re-installed XP (fresh install) and haven't had a problem since. Funny though, I've tried that before... (maybe it knew I was onto it :whistling: )