Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Raid 0 - how does it utilise the disks?

• Please log in to reply

dfoss

dfoss

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a MS6380 board - that's a K7T266 Pro2 with on-board Promise 20265R and a couple of 80Gb maxtors (reported as the C: drive and the E: drive). I have it set up as Raid 0 What puzzles me is that it appears that little or no use is being made of the E: drive - Windows explorer reports currently 76.3Gb 21Gb free on the C: drive and 76.3Gb 76.2Gb free on the E: drive. I thought that Raid 0 shared the data between the two disks to speed up the read and write. Can anyone enlighten me as to what is happening here? and how it works? or do I have a problem? PCWizard 2006 happily reports both as 2+0 Stripe/Raid0 28% free on C: 100% free on E: - so it all looks to be OK - am I missing something? I expected to see an even split between the drives.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
RAID 0 strips the data across two disks.
If you're seeing two separate drives of 80Gb each then they're not in RAID 0 configuration - they're both standalone. If they were in RAID, you'd see one 160Gb drive C.

dfoss

dfoss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That's what I would have expected - but as I say Windows "My Computer" reports the drives separately.

But under "Disk drives - properties - hardware " -it reports "Promise 2+0 stripe/Raid 0 scsi Disk Device" and under Volumes it reports "Disk 1, Type Basic, Status: Online, Partition Style: Master Boot Record(MBR), Capacity 156320Mb, Unallocated space 0Mb, Reserve Space: 0Mb Volumes: Raid(C:) 78152Mb, Raid (E:) 78168Mb. The word Raid in the disk titles is of course the name I put on the two Maxtors on the raid sockets - so that is not too significant.

Similarly if I go into the Raid Bios the Array appears as "Array 1. Raid Mode -Stripe, Total Drives - 2, Capacity-160Mb, Status - functional.

All that would suggest that it's correctly configured for Raid0 - but Windows explorer is not calling it one drive - What am I missing here??? :whistling:

Edit: - I have just copied some big video files to deliberately try to overflow from the C: to the E: by exceeding the size of C: - but windows wouldn't play - said "not enough space" so it does not look like my Raid 0 is working. :blink:

another Edit: - Could this be to do with Basic versus dynamic disks?? - see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314343 - If that is the case - ie I need to convert to dynamic - can I do this without losing my current load of programs??

Edited by dfoss, 10 May 2007 - 09:33 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What might have happened is that the RAID 0 drive (which is 160Gb) has been partitioned into two, both of 80Gb. In this case Windows will effectively see them as two separate drives.

If you go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management and select your hard drive, it'll tell you here how many partitions there are on the drive. Post a screengrab of it and we'll see what it actually says.

dfoss

dfoss

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Spot on - That's what I have done - I must have created two partitions when I set it up. So it fooled me into thinking I was looking at the two drives, where in fact I am Striping the drive correctly in raid 0. Not only that - as I like to keep a partition just for Video editing so that I can quickly defrag it which makes Pinnacle run much more sweetly with less crashes I have the best setup for me - the benefit of Raid 0 and a clean partition to work in.

For those as slow to cotton on as I am - when I looked at this Computer Management - disk Management page - Attached File  raid.doc   55.5KB   31 downloads I failed to see the significance of the Layout column saying "partition" - and the green border to the schematic which indicates "extended partition" as well as the blue bar which indicates "Logical drive"

All is now clear - thanks to Neil and also to a pal who also sussed it out from a screenshot of this attachment

Edited by dfoss, 10 May 2007 - 04:34 PM.