Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to share files and printers on network

• Please log in to reply

denysm

denysm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi:
I have a home network consisting of:
a desktop with XP Pro (with all updates)
a Laptop with Vista Home Premium
a LinkSys wireless router
The desktop is wired to the router, the laptop uses wireless connection. I followed all of your instructions carefully and as far as I can determine, I have set all necessary sharing and permissions. I have also read many of the posts here and elsewhere, but nothing seems to work.

Both computers access the internet without any problem.

From the desktop, the network appears to be fine. I can manipulate files on the laptop, and if I attach a printer to the laptop, I can send print jobs from the desktop to that printer.

From the laptop, I can see the drives on the desktop (and it shows them as "Shared", but when I click on one, I get the following message:

------------------------------------------------------
\\desktop\drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to fine out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command
-------------------------------------------------------

Likewise, if I attempt to use the printer attached to the desktop, I get the message:

--------------------------------------------------------
Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation could not be completed (error 0x0000046a)
--------------------------------------------------------
If I go into My Network Places on the Desktop, I get the same messages when I click on shared folders on Desktop. That seems very weird to me. As far as I can tell, the sharing and permissions are set identically on both machines. Workgroup name is the same on both. Permissions are set for "everyone" and "full control". The firewall (just the Windows firewall at present) does not appear to be a problem - it is set for file and printer sharing, and the problem still persists if I turn the firewall off completely. I installed the LLTD update (KB922120) on the desktop so that the desktop appears on the network map on the laptop.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Denys

Advertisements

jaws4

jaws4

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a nearly identical problem. I finally decided the XP that was not sharing had some corrupt files. I did a "system restore" (had to go back about 3 months) -- that solved the file sharing and printer sharing problems.

denysm

denysm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi jaws4. I never did figure out what the problem was but I finally took even more drastic action than you - I did a fresh install of WinXP and that fixed the problem. It was painful reinstalling all the software though.
Cheers.