Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP : Help! I have been infected

• Please log in to reply

balooski

balooski

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi there. I am in need of some help right now. My parents computer is totally messed up.

Windows Xp is their program, and they have a login before start up. But before the login a window pops up with 2 symbols on it and a button that says ok. Forcing you press the ok button and then it allows you to login. But all the desktop items are blank and unrecognizable. It wont let me access system restore, and all I can really do is access the internet and look at the drives and ect.

I can't run any programs though, and it won't let me download nothing.

Please some help would be muchly appreciated.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is an outside chance

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

balooski

balooski

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you so much for the advice but I already tried that route 3 times all at different restore points, the evil bugger even got pass my safe mode start up. Its like the frickin invincible monster infection! So fortunately enough I saved my parents picture files and all the things they cared about and then I had to do a full system restoration. Lesson here? Avast anti virus protection SUCKS!!!! lol

I hooked them up with Trend micro security and told them to make sure they actually keep their protection updated. Sad part is, even despite the full system restore I did, the virus scan still detected 198 dangerous items! What the heck are they doing with this computer lol.

But I hope this fixes the problem.

Thanks for the effort Keith

:whistling: