Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A house fan question

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well on my fan in my room is a little decal. On one side of the decal is a pic of my fan with arrows pointing down, and on the other side the arrow pointing up. Now depending on which way I move the switch, wind will be blown either down or up. Do you guys know what the difference is in those two choices, and which one I should use if its hot or cold?

Advertisements

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Hot air rises

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
My understanding is that the air should be directed downwards in warm weather and upwards in cold weather. The purpose of the fan is air circulation; it doesn't provide long-term cooling in the way that an air conditioner would, for example. When the fan is directed downwards, you'll feel the air and it will feel cool, which you probably wouldn't want in cold weather.

Also, since the fan is only circulating the air, not cooling it, it's a good idea to turn it off when you're not in the room, so you can save energy.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...in warm weather...it should be pulling hot air off the ceiling and forcing it downards...this will force the cold air that's pooled along the floor to be pushed upwards into the place where the hot air once was...the hot air being pushed down also serves the purpose of getting that air closer to your airconditioner thereby speeding up the cooling process...

this process works in reverse in the winter...if you reverse the fan in the winter...it pulls the cold air off the floor and pushes the hot air down to replace it

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

A ceiling fan fan serves two primary purposes: to provide a cooling breeze, and to circulate the air throughout a room or area. The first purpose is used primarily in hot weather but circulation can assist with heating as well as cooling. However you likely do NOT want to feel a cooling breeze in the winter. So the idea was introduced to run the fan in updraft instead of downdraft, blowing up towards the ceiling. This way air is circulated throughout the room without a breeze.

99% of ceiling fans currently in use run clockwise in "reverse" (updraft or winter mode) and counter-clockwise for regular operation. If you are not sure about your fan, run it on high and stand directly under the blades. If you do not feel a breeze, reverse the fan. When you feel the strongest breeze, that is downdraft or "forward" for summer operation.

more info HERE

my wife and I have this chat at least once every time the seasons change :whistling: :blink: :help:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
another good reason to flip that switch to fling all the dust off the fan ahahaha

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
We have 6 ceiling fans in the house, and run them all the time. It's cheaper for us to run the fans than absorb the impact to the heating/cooling bills without them, plus we like the better air circulation. I just cleaned all of them and changed their direction to summer (blowing air down). A "Swiffer" cloth is the best thing I've ever found for cleaning the fans.
Johanna

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh man I hate cleaning fans! I just leave all my windows open...

blue07

blue07

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whole house fans by Quiet Cool are a top choice if you want a quiet and high quality home cooling and ventilation system.

`

Edited by blue07, 10 March 2009 - 01:12 AM.