Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe maxing out Virtual Memory

• Please log in to reply

Snail_d3

Snail_d3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently got a windows pop-up about "Virtual Memory too low, Windows is increasing this size etc.." can't remember the specific wording. I went into Task Manager and noticed that Explorer.exe had Virtual Memory column over 1 000 000K (it is currently 317 000K). Also I noticed that the handles column increased at a rate of about 1 per second (currently 2280) My computer has been on for only about 2 hours. This Virtual Memory Pop-Up occurs after about 8 hours of the computer being turned on. I have to reboot for the computer to become usable again. This problem will occur more quickly after I open Internet Explorer for the first time. I have done many Virus and Malware scans from AdAware, Defender, NIS 2007, SpyBot and Kaspersky Online, in both normal and safe mode. I have also had HiJackThis logfiles analysed by 'www.hijackthis.de/' online. Everything has come up clean, No Problems. I have searched and searched the web and as many forums as I can find but most come up with an problem about .avi CPU Usage. I don't know what direction to follow next and would appreciate any advise.
PS. Just in this little time writing this Explorer.exe is now using 347 000K, 2550 Handles and increasing

Thanks Dale

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start

Right click My Computer

Click properties

Click advanced

Click settings for performance

Click advanced

Click change for virtual memory

Put the dot in system managed

Click set

Click OK

Reboot

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Snail_d3

Snail_d3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the very swift reply. :whistling: I will follow your instructions then move to the Malware forum and follow theirs. Your assistance is much appreciated.

Regards Dale :blink: