Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FDISK

• Please log in to reply

deb306

deb306

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Can someone give me a step-by-step instructions on how to run a Fdisk. I need to delete my partitions correctly and redownloaded them because I think I deleted my "D" partitions. Also, I don't know what I'm doing and don't understand which number to check setting up the Fdisk. I don't understand what this means:

If your system contains a hard disk drive with a capacity greater than 512 megabytes you can see the following message when you run FDISK.

Your computer has a disk larger then 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive.

IMPORTANT: If you enable large disk support and create any new drives on this disk, you will not be able to access the new drive(s) using other operating systems, including some versions of Windows 95 and Windows NT, as well as earlier versions of Windows and MS-DOS. In addition, disk utilities that were not designed explicitly for the FAT 32 file system will not be able to work with this disk. If you need to access this disk with other operating systems or older disk utilities, do not enable large drive support.

Do you wish to enable large disk support (Y/N) ..............? (N) Which do I choose, Y or N ?

Your response to this question determines whether or not FDISK will create FAT 32 partitions on your hard drive. Under normal circumstances, drives with capacity of less than 512 MB cannot use FAT 32. On the other hand, if you have a large capacity drive and want to create a partition larger than two (2) gigabytes (2GB) in size, you must use FAT 32.

The reason I want to re-run Fdisk 3-days agao, I dont think I did it right. There are somethings that did not download after I ran my Quick Restore CD's.

I'm running Windows "ME" so I don't know if my drive capacity is more or less than 512 MB.

Anyway, I need help !!!

Thank you

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The hard disk capacity is certainly greater than 512Mb because FDISK is telling you it is here:

"Your computer has a disk larger then 512 MB. This version of Windows includes improved support for large disks, resulting in more efficient use of disk space on large drives, and allowing disks over 2 GB to be formatted as a single drive."

For a tutorial on using FDISK go here: http://www.techrescu...es/prepdrv6.asp

Click "next" at top of each page to work your way through the process. Printing off the relevant pages would be a smart thing to do before you start using FDISK.

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
PIP,

Thank you for the information, it's great, but I think what I'm going to do is break down and get someone that knows what they are doing, that can actually walk me thru all of this, I'm alrealy in trouble and dont want to make things worse.

Thanks again !!!

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
follow this to step 9
Can't be easier
Fdisk