Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lose Internet connection temporarily when telephone rings

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Here is my setup: I have the Cable Internet line going into my wireless router, which is in my basement. The wireless router also has a network cord going from it to my wife's computer, which is in the basement. My computer, which is on the main floor, is connected to the Internet with a wireless network card. My laptop connects through wireless as well.

I've had this same setup for the past 18 months, with no major problems. Then, starting yesterday, any time the telephone rings, I lose my Internet connection on my computer (which is connected through the wireless router). I only lose it for about a minutes, then it connects again automatically.

I've narrowed the problem down to a cordless telephone that I have sitting next to my wife's computer in the basement. When I unplug that phone, I no longer lose Internet connection when the phone rings.

As I said, I've had no major problems for 18 months with this setup. The only problem I did have was, if I was listed to MP3s from my wife's computer. The files are actually on my computer upstairs, and I setup my wife's computer to see them. Whenever the phone rang, the MP3s would stop playing. Again, this was only if I was listening from my wife's computer. If I was listening from my computer (which the files are physically on) or from my laptop, there would be no problem when the phone rang.

Anyway, obviously, yesterday the problem got much worse.

I've made no change in the setup of my Internet connection hardware or anything. The only thing I changed recently was that I switched from IDT telephone service to Verizon telephone service (which did take effect yesterday). I don't see why this would cause the problem that's occurring, but it can't just be conincidence.

Please help me!!

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model router do y ou have? wireless routers and modern cordless phones opperate on the same frequency of radio...and oft times the chanels will colide....you can change the channel that your router operates on...which should stop this problem

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Howdy Dsenette,

Thanks for replying!

My router is a Linksys WRT54GS. You suggest changing the frequency of the router. Would it be worth it to try changing the channel on the telephone instead?

Also, though I will try your suggestion once I get home, I just can't wrap my brain around why this is happening. Can who one has as their telelphone service provider really determine whether a signal that comes out of a cordless phone interferes with their wireless router?

As I said, I am using the same hardware and settings now as I have for the past 18 months. The only thing that has changed is my telephone provider. On Tuesday, I had IDT and no problems caused by my ringing phone. Now, I have Verizon and lose connection. It just doesn't make sense to me, since I've always had the same phone and router.

thanks,
mike.

P.S.--To change the frequency settings on my router, is it correct that I would have to use the setup screens I get by typing in my IP address in a broswer? I mean, would there be something I have to change physically on the router?

Edited by diggeryo, 10 May 2007 - 11:13 AM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Yell at me if I'm wrong Uber Geeks, but the voltage on your telephone line when it rings COULD/WOULD affect the ring signal your phone sends out (it is definiately true of tip to ring phones).

In the case of wireless telephone, I'm guessing (truly guessing) that your signal is stronger (more voltage) from your new phone company... so your wireless phone is sending a slightly stronger wireless ring signal to your telephones. Because the signal is stronger, it kills your wireless connection to network.

Moving either the router or telephones should help. But the better solution is what Dsenette advised.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cordless phones DON"T always use the same channel between the base station and the handset....this is irrespective of who provides your phone service....with a cordless phone...if it detects a poor signal..it will automatically switch channels till it finds a good one...which would explain why it hasn't always been this way...it found the current chanel that it's on...and decided it was a good enough signal so it kept it....this channel could be the same channel that your wireless antenna is transmitting on

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
SpaceCowboy706 has shown me I'm wrong about the voltage difference and/or IW connection difference between the telephone companies causing your issue.

However the advice you were given about changing your channel IS CORRECT.

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I have corrected the issue by changing the frequency of my router under it's options. I still don't know why it happened in the first place, but as long as it doesn't happen again, I guess it doesn't matter.

Thanks for all your help!

mike.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if your phone decides to change channels again and they happen to overlap....then it will happen again..