Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print/Page Set Up Change on All Documents After Server Crash

• Please log in to reply

lizzeydripping

lizzeydripping

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi all

Please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong topic but I really don't know what is causing the problem so I have had to take pot luck really!

We run SBS2003 and XP Professional.

Our server fell over and died a couple of weeks back - corrupted hard drive. This has been replaced and the data from our back ups migrated over. It was at this point we discovered that the back up wasn't configured to back up system settings etc, just the data.

So printers, profiles everything was reinstalled and a new domain created by our network support.

Since then, all existing documents on the network have changed to paper size "Letter" from A4 and the tray settings/paper types have been randomised. I then have to reset the paper size to A4 on all programmes (Word, Outlook, IE) . But still, the existing documents are set as "Letter" and randomly throughout the day we will suddenly become unable to print as the printer begins to "return an error" and it is not possible to print without reinstalling the printer - which means that all the defaults change to letter again, despite the fact that on the server, the printer is set to A4!

I have heard it suggested that this is because of the defaults in the normal.dot template, but I have reconfigured this and it has made no difference. I have also heard suggestions that this is due to a change of default printer, but have not actually seen anyone suggest how this may occur or how it may be resolved.

I am tearing my hair out here. :whistling: Any advice gratefully appreciated! :blink:

Advertisements