Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system shutting down

• Please log in to reply

tyno59

tyno59

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Windows XP and when i go to shut down my computer it stops at the Windows screen that says "Windows is now shutting down" so i have to hold down the power button to turn it off. How can i fix it so it fully shuts down?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
QUOTE:

"Windows XP shutdown issues mostly center around a very few issues, especially legacy hardware and software compatibility issues.

Currently, the leading cause of Windows XP shutdown problems is hardware incompatibility, including driver issues. These are detailed below where known. However, it is impossible to list every possible hardware or driver issue individually. My best advice is: Check all drivers for all hardware devices to ensure that they are the current best for Windows XP."

How long is it since the problem started? Have you added any new hardware or software after which it started?

tyno59

tyno59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is my work computer. I am a new employee here but the owner said that they havn't added anything to the computer. They said it has been having the problem for a while.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Go into Control Panel > system > hardware > device manager. can you see any question or exclamation mark near any of the devices?

tyno59

tyno59

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
no i do not.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download Everest (a link in my signature below). Install and run "Computer". Identify the make and model of the mother board. Go to the manufacturer's site and download the drivers of this motherboard and reinstall all of them. If you have any pci or AGP devices identify them in Everest, search for the drivers, download and reinstall them.