Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office - Yesterday's update screwed it up!

• Please log in to reply

mairya

mairya

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When I shut my system down last night, there was the "install updates and shut down" option.

This morning, when I try to use Office, it just slows down completely, so much so that I can type an entire email before anything shows up on the screen! It also stopped loading in the ZoneAlarm scanner.

I tried restoring my computer, and it won't restore (even went back to 4/21).

Can anyone help with this? I suppose I could reinstall Office, but I really dont' want to lose my email files.

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, mairya!

What version of Office do you have? Is it all Office applications or just Outlook that is now having issues?

1. Detect/Repair Office. From inside Outlook, click the Help menu, Detect/Repair. This should repair the installation. Reboot the computer and confirm whether the problem still exists.

2. Uninstall the Office updates. Go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Be sure to check the box at the top that says "Show Updates". Scroll to Microsoft Office and uninstall all the updates from 5/8 or 5/9. You might also do another Detect/Repair afterward. Reboot the computer and confirm whether the problem still exists.

Now, to find out where your Outlook data is saved, open Control Panel, Mail, Data Files. There may be more than one file listed there. In case you do need to uninstall/reinstall Office, I'm fairly certain those files will not be touched, but it'd be a good idea to copy them out to your Desktop.

For ZoneAlarm, I'm not sure what you mean. After the updates, is ZoneAlarm completely disabled or just the email scanning part? Please provide additional information.

mairya

mairya

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, LindaGail --

It's office 2003.

I ran the Detect/Repair yesterday as well as uninstalling the updates, and it made no difference at all. I'm not positive that the Detect/Repair was working correctly, though, since it said it was installing it, then when it was done, just went back to the regular screen. If I click on the "run" button, it just "installs" it again.

As for Zone Alarm, it's set to check for spam. Normally, it pops up a notice saying it's there when I open up Outlook, and then a second Zone Alarm tool bar shows up under the regular Office one; it's not doing that anymore.

I finally gave up and loaded Thunderbird and transferred my files over to it, but it would be nice to know what's causing the problem in Outlook!