Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

User name-passwords being cleared out in IE7

• Please log in to reply

MRM4

MRM4

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Starting yesterday, the user names and passwords that I save for message boards I visit regularly are being cleared out. I am on IE7 and it's a work computer. It happened again today around the same time. Both days, I left for lunch and come back to see every one has been cleared out and I have to re-enter them. I am not running any programs like CCCleaner or anything like those that would automatically do it. I am the administrator, so no one else is manually doing it that I am aware of. Is there some setting that's been turned on that I am unaware of that's causing this?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It depends what method is being used to save your passwords. Without using a third-party password manager there are two ways by which they can be remembered:

1. Internet Explorer's built-in "AutoComplete"method (Tools->Internet Options->Content (tab)->AutoComplete

or

2. Accepting a cookie file from the website by choosing the option to "remember me" at their log-in page.

Option 1 - all AutoComplete passwords can be cleared by clicking the button in the AutoComplete dialog box.

Option 2 - Someone could have altered IE7 so that it blocks ALL cookies by ramping up the privacy level to "Block All Cookies"
that would also stop websites from reading any existing cookies on your PC, many of which probably contain your passwords.
I don't use IE7 so this refers to IE6:
Open IE, Tools->Internet Options.
Click the 'Privacy' tab
Vertical slider should be mid-way (Medium or Medium-High) for password cookies to work.
If the slider is at the top, that's the problem.
Open Internet Explorer

MRM4

MRM4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The privacy tab is set as it should be. Now, everything is being cleared out mid afternoon. Very strange.