Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Database Development

• Please log in to reply

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, this is Nick from Kosovo. I am recently developing a database for a textil store and I have some questions about generating the code in VBA.

There are three main topics I am concerned on:

1. The security of application,
2. The business operators
3. Notification windows

The point 1 is that I want to develop a form which includes labels named username and password. These two labels must be able to compare the username and password entered by the user to the username and password that already exists in database.

The point 2 indicates that I want to create two tables: one table that stores available goods ready to be sold and the second table that stores the information of the goods already stored. Now, when I sell a good using table two I want the number of the goods in table one to decrease per number of the goods sold in table two.

The point 3. When the number of the goods comes to a certain number (for example 20 jackets) I want the software to inform me that I have only 20 jackets remaining and that I need to supply my store with jackets. Also, when I supply my store with more jackets I need the notification window to go off.

Would you please help me about generating the code for these operations in VBA?

Thank you,

Nick - Kosovo.

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
what will be the host application that will you be implementing this code in?

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The host application in which I am going to write the code is: Microsoft Office Access 2003.

Waiting for your help.

Thank you.

Nick.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, thanks Nick.

Do you already have any code for this project? You can't expect me to do your job for you (unless you want to pay me :whistling:), but I'll be glad to help you with specific coding problems you are having.

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, thanks for your reply. I am not asking for the whole code. I am a beginner at programming languages and I need some suggestions about coding. I will handle the other part of project.

Ok, thank you,

Nick.

P.S. I already wrote the code fro logging in the database, now I only need a few help for the two last topics (see the first publication).

Edited by NikiAlbanian, 13 May 2007 - 02:52 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Alright, I now want to clarify what you want.

The point 1 is that I want to develop a form which includes labels named username and password. These two labels must be able to compare the username and password entered by the user to the username and password that already exists in database.

This is for some sort of login system, right? If so, the first user would have to set up all accounts which are allowed access. Would you like to know how to do this too?

The point 2 indicates that I want to create two tables: one table that stores available goods ready to be sold and the second table that stores the information of the goods already stored. Now, when I sell a good using table two I want the number of the goods in table one to decrease per number of the goods sold in table two.

This could be easily done, but you don't expect it to be done dynamically do you? I suppose it could be done, but you would have to somehow connect the database to your cash registers or something, and would have no idea how to do that, you would probably need to hire a professional who is familiar with that. Instead, you would have to manually tell the database that you sold "x" amount of goods.

The point 3. When the number of the goods comes to a certain number (for example 20 jackets) I want the software to inform me that I have only 20 jackets remaining and that I need to supply my store with jackets. Also, when I supply my store with more jackets I need the notification window to go off.

Again, this couldn't be done dynamically without connecting the database to your cash registers. When you tell the database you sold "x" amount of goods, if it goes below your preset threshold, it could automatically alert you, and keep alerting you until you told it you restocked your store.

Please tell me if I got that all right and understand what you want.

Now a last question I have for you:

Is using VBA and Microsoft Access imperative? The reason I ask is that VBA is based on classic VB, which is an obsolete language. I started programming after classic VB became obsolete, so I'm not very familiar with it. However, I am very familiar with VB.NET, and I could probably write you an entire database application in VB.NET a lot easier than I could give you code snippets in VBA.

So, my point is, would you like to try making your own VB.NET database application which I could help you with a lot better, or would you like me to research VBA for you?

Either way is fine with me.

Edited by stettybet0, 13 May 2007 - 08:05 PM.

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
stettybet0, thank you very much for showing your readiness and interest to help. I really appreciate your efforts.

The answer to your last question would be: I don't know. Because my knowledge level for programming languages is: "Foggy". They use the same logics but are expressed with "a little different" variables. They differ on the ability to build more complex software (which for sure that is not the part that I should handle with).

VBA, VB 6.0, VB.NET 2003 and VB.NET 2007 are very similar between them. So, it is not a problem if you help me with the code in each of above mentioned languages. I will have the pleasure to find out the match of the code in programming environment I am using (VBA).

If you want to explain more detailed stuff and don't want to publicate it for the whole world, you can give me details on: Email address removed, all help is to be given on the forum. Probably we will have the pleasure to cooperate together for my software company I have just founded.

Again thank you.

Nick.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
As a mod has already pointed out in their edit to your post, I can only provide help to you on the forum.

So with that pointed out, would it be helpful to you if I made a basic application in VB.NET 2005 and provide you with it and the source code, and then we go from there?

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Alright. You can write the code in VB.NET 2005 and modify it to comply with VBA.

Thank you. OSrry I couldn't wirte more as for the moment I am very busy.

Nick.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I will write the code in VB.NET 2005, but it will be you that has to convert it into VBA code. As I explained earlier, I am not very familiar with VBA code, so I probably can't provide much assistance there.

I will begin writing the code for you over the weekend.

NikiAlbanian

NikiAlbanian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
stettybet0, thank you very much for your help. Geeks To Go forum is for free computer help. But, I would like to get to know you more, and probably have a good cooperation between me and you for business in my company.
Let's first see how the code works.

Regards,

Nick.