Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost sound on laptop

• Please log in to reply

peppe

peppe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello, I am using windows XP home on an old notebook (no name) but it has MB02 on the bottom. This computer has several issues all related to some sort of "short" in the system (I think). If I set it down too hard or it gets bumped it will go to a blue screen and start dumping memory. It hasn' t been abused or dropped...yet. I have taken the back off and all the connections are firmly attached. Some times when I reboot I get a message --operating system not found. If I tap it on the bottom and reboot it will reboot fine the next time.

The last time it went crazy it lost the registry. Someone on this board told me how to repair it and it worked great. I now have no sound other than beeps if need to close a window before exiting something. I checked the sound on the control panel and it says no sound device. It had one...I didn't check the sound after I repaired the registry so I may have copied something wrong since there were a lot of lines that had to be copied exactly. I have no idea if the two are even related. I need the sound back if possible and any suggestions on a fix for the fragile nature of this notebook would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to the people on this board for helping me keep this thing going. I should junk it but when it is working it is small, lightweight and fast and still my favorite laptop. I keep thinking that the next "fix" will really fix it. :whistling:

Advertisements

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Sounds like something is lose or the Hard drive is going.....

When you took the back off did you re-seat the hard drive and memory sticks??

As for the sound did you get any CDs with the laptop like a Utility disk?

You can try this and see

Try this for your sound Restore Sound - Windows Audio Service

Restart the PC and see

peppe

peppe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Bonk, thanks for the info. I don't remember if I re-seated the drive but I probably did if I could easily unplug it. I will look for the utility cd. I remember it did have some cds that came with it. I tried the windows audio and it didn't fix it. This "short" issue has been going on for a year or two. Does it take that long for a drive to die or do you think that this is more of a connection problem?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I think First thing is to reseat the drive. If reseating does not work it is time to think about getting a new one.

peppe

peppe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tuxmaster, thanks for the help again. This may be a dumb question but do you want me to unplug the drive and replug it? Am I supose to do anything else?

Would anything like Seagate Hard Drive check show if the drive is bad?

:whistling: