Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer acting weird!

• Please log in to reply

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I turn on the computer and it boots fine, no problems. Everything comes up just fine. I click into the internet as soon as I boot to check my email. All is okay except it is a bit slower than normal gettting the email opened.. After I check the email and I click off the internet and go to open another program...a game.. Nothing happens. No error message, nothing. It shows the little hour glass like it is going to open and then the hourglass goes away and the program doesn't open. I try to go back onto the internet, same thing...looks like it is going to but then nothing happens and no error message. I go to reboot the computer, but can't get the Start menu to open either.. Can't get anything to open at all. Just sits there. Nothing happens. I finally have to push off the power button to turn it off and I hate having to do that. But no other way to turn it off.. I wait a few minutes and reboot. Again..boots up okay...can click into any program okay...but once I exit it, nothing else will come up again...No way to correctly shut it down. Have to turn off with power button. it started doing this crazy stuff Tuesday afternoon. Worse yesterday afternoon. I was about ready to toss it out the door.
My computer is an EMachine with Windows XP, 768 Ram, and I usually dont have any problems with the computer...generally works great.
Question... If the house is too hot inside, could this cause a problem with the operation of the computer... It was about 85 in the house last night and the air conditioner is broke. If this is not the problem... what can I look for to get the computer working correctly again.
I keep my anitivirus updated and the last time it scanned the computer about three days ago, it was fine. No viruses detected. I wanted to run it again last night, but couldn't get anything to open for me. when I finally got back into the computer and tried to open a game (which has been on the computer for months) wouldn't open and gave me an error message like the file was missing to open the game....two of the games were that way...I made no changes in the computer..the games should not have disappeared...I checked the folder and everything (as far as I know) is still there...but wasn't reading it.
I"m stumped on this one...

thanks
Barbara

Advertisements

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
next time you boot your machine, please hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and open the task manager.

Click on the processes tab then click CPU once or twice to sort the processes (I want the ones using the most CPU cycles to be on top).

Then proceed as normal but keep this up so you can see it.

Let us know which processes are locking you up.

And welcome to Geeks to Go. (sorry I forgot my manners....I'm sorta new here also)

Edited by bobmad, 10 May 2007 - 12:30 PM.

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Once I get the Task Manager up, and click CPU a couple times...how do I tell what locks everything up..
Last night when things would not come up...I couldn't even get the Task Manager up..Nothing would open.
I just checked the two games I have been playing for months and when this problem started, I can no longer bring them up. I get an error message "Unable to Prepare game executable" I guess I'm going to have to reinstall the games. Not sure what happened to them. I just played the one on Monday, now it won't come up at all... Weird computer..
I have the task manager up and it is constantly running...going from CPU Usage of 4% to 74% now and then... most of the time, it stays below 15%.
Says there are 53 processes also says Commit Charge: 349M/1088M

The largest of the processes being CCAPP.EXE 26,640K
RxMon.exe 10,008K
Weather.exe 14.900K (which has been on my system for several years now)
Svchost.exe 44,048K Iexplore.exe 12,472K explorer.exe 21,308K

These are some that are running...small few...outof 53 processes...

under performance, CPU Usage most of the time right now is below 10%
PF Usage 349MB

Physical Memory total: 776944 Avail: 405148 System Cache: 395020
Kernel Memory total: 73980 Paged: 59040 Nonpaged: 14968
Totals Handles 11913 threads 542 Processes 53
Commit Charge total 357712 Limit 1114304 Peak 538760

This is the first time I've had this type of a problem in all the years I've worked on the computers. I was able to sign right in tonight, except for my two games...But what will happen once I signed off the internet, I don't know. I was able to get right on the internet last night, but then could no longer open things after being on for about 10 minutes.

Thank you for your help, I hope we can figure this out... I sure hate not being able to use my computer... I really feel lost without it.
have a great day
Barbara

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First Off are you getting any error messages at startup. Particly a error in regards to SVCHOST.exe. Try turning off automatic updates does the issue happen again.

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
No errors at startup at all. Everything booted up with no problems. Just after the computer had been up and running for about 10 minutes, you couldn't open anything.. it never gave any error messages either. it would only give you the little hour glass like it was going to open and then the hour glass would go away and nothing would open. I tried several programs last night, the task manager, all the icons on the desktop...tried to go to control panel but couldn't get the start menu to come up. But the boot up was working fine.
Now it has messed up my two games and they will no longer open. Tonight, everything is working and opening without any problems....so far except for the two games of course. It totally has me stumped.
That is why I was wondering if the heat could have caused this weird thing. It was really hot in here because the air wasn't working right. It still isn't working correctly, but it is on the house is cooler...And everything is working at this point..so far. Monday wasn't real hot in here and the computer was doing fine.. tuesday it was warmer, but the computer was still coming up but was a bit slower..then Wednesday, i was really having the problem and it was pretty hot in here.
I will have to reinstall my two games. Not sure what happened to them when all this happened with the computer. Just so weird...
I'll let you know if this crazy thing happens again... Appreciate your help

thanks for your help
Barbara

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
If it is SCVHOST.EXE and turning off automatic updates helps, there is a hotfix for this issue. I'll post the link to the hotfix and it's description in 10 or 11 hours (once i get back to work).

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay, great thanks. With the Hotfix, will I still be able to get the auto updates for the
computer? It is easier for me to keep up with updates if it does them automatically. Some
of the updates, I have to keep up to date in order to access my job from home..
Appreciate your help

have a good day and
wonderful weekend

Barbara

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
http://support.micro....com/kb/927891/
This is the hot fix for the hotfix you need (it completely replaces the one you need...so it's the one you need now)

Yes this hot fix will allow you to use automatic updates without svchost eating all of your CPU. It is a good one to install even if this wasn't your issue (pretty sure it is your issue).

there is a download link about 1/3 the way down that page.

Please post back to let us know that it worked (ok,...IF it works).

Mamacat104

Mamacat104

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks for the link. I'll check it out later. Have to go put supper on the table
right now. Last night the computer was working fine and so far this evening
(the little I've been on right now) it seems okay... It is cooler in the house
too... seems strange.
When the temp has been cool in the house...computer had no problems.
Temp rises above 80, computer locked up...cant do anything....house is
cooler, computer back working. Isn't that strange?

I'll let you know how the update works...thanks for your help

Barbara