Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

scesrv.dll file missing

• Please log in to reply

statebully

statebully

• Pip
  • 3 posts
this afternoon when trying to startup my computer says:

This application has failed to start because SCESRV.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

After hitting OK, the screen goes completely black and you can't do anything.

- i tried putting in the xp disc to repair errors (my startup disc only contains service pack 1...could that be the problem) but after the repair, the problem still persists.

WHAT DO I DO?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t87766.html

statebully

statebully

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
the link to his RECOVERY CONSOLE does not work anymore. plus, i'm writing this to you on a desktop right now that doesn't have a cd burner. my laptop is the machine with the issues. any suggestions

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Will it start in safe mode or this

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

statebully

statebully

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it won't come up in safe mode or with the command prompt either!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you ran the repair

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

waterhouse

waterhouse

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this problem with the
SCESRV.dll not found. I have tried the suggestion of using the disc and doing the chkdsk /p /r. After exiting, and removing CD it shows Xp start up and then goes back to SCESRV.dll not found?
I have tried this 3 times now and each time the same.

I have left it to reboot. Should i start up in safe mode? what if this does not work? There is an option to start up in the last best configuration or something like that - I have no idea what else to do. I have been having problems this whole week - restored windows - that was ok - but no audio, added audio, was fine but not all areas - some when i clicked on folders would take me to a blue screen and then just shut down, restart and shut down each time i tried to go into certain folders.

I have removed most of my stuff - some i cant like my music (although i could listen to it before this SCE stuff)

What am i doing wrong and how can i fix it.

DerfAndTod

DerfAndTod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) I tried the procedure that was recommended - the process (chkdsk) begins to work. However, after two attempts, my system reports (at 33% complete) that there were serious errors encountered and nothing more could be done... My system is still dead. I've tried all the safe modes - to no avail.
Someone? Please? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppppppppp!
PS - I was able to navigate to the sys32 directory and the dll is there. So at least that worked.

Edited by DerfAndTod, 24 January 2008 - 07:30 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
DerfAndTod, you need to download the hard drive utility from the drive manufacturers web site and create a bootable CD then boot and run it. Sounds like your hard drive may be failing.

To see what kind of HD you have, open the case and remove the hard drive. The label will tell you the manufacturer.