Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my second comp. first dead end upgrade wise

• Please log in to reply

jeffzilla

jeffzilla

• Pip
  • 4 posts
EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card -
Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PEP22G6400EL 1 piece
XFX MB-N680-ILT9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI ATX Intel Motherboard -
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 -
HITACHI Deskstar T7K250 HDT722525DLA380 (0A31636) 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

with this setup work? also what kind of power source should I get. i have a 500 watt already. any suggestions on deviations are fine. budget is 1100 plus power supply

also no making fun of me. i havn't done this for two years. and then i had an idiot proof little sticky pad thingy for installing the cpu

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello and welcome to geekstogo,
Don't worry, your only going to find friendly people here, so no need to worry about posting anything because someone might make fun of you. Remember there are no stupid questions.

Can you provide direct links to the products as it'll make everything easier for me. Everything looks fine at first glace, your 500watt power supply should get you by, unless it's a cheap one that came with a case do you by any chance know the model number?
My first recommendation would be to go for the Core 2 duo E6600.
Second suggestion, get 2 dims of DDR2 (2x 1024MB). One stick of 2GB will cost about 100$ more with no performance advantages.
Thirdly get both a EVGA motherboard and graphics card, you'll look at less chances of problems because them products are coming from the same manufacturer, though you shouldn't have any problems with your existing line up. Just highly recommend you do it this way. Also I have heard of to many DOA (dead on arrivals) with XFX, though you only hear about the negative not the positive.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 May 2007 - 08:15 PM.

jeffzilla

jeffzilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok swaped for a EVGA motherboard (that just makes sense) changed thanks
Saw that the E6600 won an award 3 times (only $40 more) changed thanks

the memory I thought I could upgrade up to 8GB. at least thats what the motherboard supports, or does it support but not use? I just wanted to have the slots to upgrade when I get into some more money.

my power supply was $60... which doesn't seem cheap. don't know the specs

also if I ever want to do two graphics cards could I? probably need more power then
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188019 motherboard

Edited by jeffzilla, 10 May 2007 - 08:53 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nope that motherboard is all you need. Don't SLI, unless you have lots of money to burn and want the best of the best, then you can get the two best cards availible. Because whats better then the best card out there? Two of them.
The reality however is most of us don't have this much money to spend and it's really just a marketing gimic. You spend 100% more to recieve 30% more performance, is this worth your investment? I don't think so. The only time I ever would recommend this is if you are playing at an ultra high resolution with 2 monitors or else in need of 3 or 4 monitors, otherwise just don't do it. Pay for the best you can afford in one card, don't SLI.

As far as the memory goes, any 32-bit operating system can only support 3.5GB of ram, the 8 GB that motherboards can support is for 64bit operating systems. No I don't recommend moving to 64bit as there is very little driver support. By the time we being using 64bit operating systems you'll probably be upgrading to something new where your current RAM will not be compatible. If you are planning on upgrading I recommend a better PSU. But first I recommend you wait till next week, ATI is releasing their new set of graphics cards which will lower prices due to competition. A decent PSU will never be under 100$. Your probably looking at spending 150$-175$ on a PSU if you want to protect your investment and want it to last you some time.
James

Edit: On your next post please list the links to all your hardware for your new build. Will make things much easier for me. Muchly appreciated.

Edited by james_8970, 10 May 2007 - 10:07 PM.

jeffzilla

jeffzilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115003
cpu

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130071
video card

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822145087
hard drive

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813188019
motherboard

Wait you lost me on the PSU, what is it. And will the price of my card drop on new egg?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes it'll more then likely be lower next friday. PSU stand for Power supply unit. I'm thinking that you might not have enough amps to support your video card requiring an updated PSU. It's up to you, if you want you can wait till you build see if you system is stable, if not then you'll need a better PSU. It's up to you, because without a link or model number I'm playing the guessing game. Is there any way that you could open your case and tell me how many amps are on the +12V rail?
James

jeffzilla

jeffzilla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Model 400 U
dc output +12V
ATX12V (version 1.3) P4

ooo... yeah i see it now 20 amps