Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer doesn't always turn on.

• Please log in to reply

Nates

Nates

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
The other day I was working on my computer, and I left for a few minutes. When I came back, I saw that my computer was in the process of logging me out, and then restarting. Obviously, I became very concerned, but everything appeared to be normal when Windows came back on. I then shut down the computer. About 20 minutes later, I came back and tried to turn my computer back on, but it wouldn't turn on. Aside from the mechanical clicking of the button, the computer sounded lifeless. I checked the power cord, and it seemed fine. To make sure, I unplugged it and could hear the computer "power down" as usual. I plugged it back in, hit the power button, but still nothing. I got really frustrated and started mashing the power button hard, and then it finally powered on!

Since then, I've shutdown maybe 3 times, and 2 of those times I had to mash on the power button to get it going again. Any ideas?

For reference, I'm running Windows XP on an Athlon 64 3400+ with 1GB of RAM. I built it myself, and I can't remember what PSU I have in there, but I remember making sure that it had ample watts. The only thing is that this computer runs pretty hot! I have an aluminum case with a few fans, but this thing heats up my bedroom in no time.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If you built it yourself, maybe the case on/off button is stuffing up? If it's literally turning itself off on you, try checking this setting:

right-click desktop > select "properties" > select "screensaver" tab > click "power" button > open "advanced" tab > what is selected under "When I press the power button on my computer:"

If "shut down" is selected, try changing it to something else, like "ask me what to do". Then if your computer starts asking you what to do every now and again (shutdown options box), then it could be a faulty button, or cable, or connectors on the motherboard? Just an idea.

Also, how hot is pretty hot? Heat is one of the worst enemies to computers. If you're not sure exactly, try downloading speedfan <http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php> it is an advanced program, but you can use it as a temp monitor for everything, plus fan speeds and voltages. My system runs on 32 - 34 (celcius), cpu is mid-20s, hdd's are mid-30s.