Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Log On/Log Off Userinit.exe Error

• Please log in to reply

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am running Windows XP SP2, and yesterday I ran into some problem that I couldn't really understand or fix.

Right. I restart my computer, and it goes to the normal logon screen. I logon, and it logs off immediately (automatically), without showing desktop, explorer bar, start menu, etc. I rebooted a few times, sometimes it would come up with Userinit.exe Application Error, Click OK to Terminate App. I understand the Userinit.exe has to do with the startup processes and stuff....

I have tried getting a fresh copy of userinit.exe and overwriting the old one, thinking it might be corrupted or something. Nope.

I have read the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648
It doesn't fix it. I have also read a few other articles, but with similar instructions, but they don't work. The only one I have not tried it inserting my Windows XP disk and going to Repair, and overwriting the Windows installation with a fresh installation, but without wiping the disk. However, it is not an option for me because I have not got my XP disk and I won't be going home for another 2 months (yes, I am at school).

I tell you what might have caused it, I'm slapping myself for this right now.
I installed XP Tools Pro "The Swiss Army Knife of Windows XP Tools" and disabled two startup programs, both of which are applications I know of.
I think that this program might have damaged a file associated with the startup of the computer. Now when I open the program and use it to changed startup programs, it comes up with an application error and terminates the program.

Any help would be great... I'd really like to get this fixed, I don't want to wait 2 months to be able to fix it.... and also formatting the disk isn't an option, I've got loads of stuff on here (which I could back up onto a hard drive, but thats a lot of stuff for me to backup).

I have thought that there might be some sort of prank/malicious software in my startup programs which logs me off, but there doesn't seem to be.

Thanks!!!

PS: If you're wondering why I'm on here, I am in safe mode.

Edited by DJDaveX, 11 May 2007 - 10:08 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DJDaveX!

Have you tried going into SAFE MODE and logging in with the ADMINISTRATOR account and creating a new user account and then rebooting the computer and trying to login to that account and see if you get the same immediate log-off problem?

Fenor

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I'll go try that now, but I know that both my Administrator account and DJDaveX account get the same error. I'll try another account.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Make sure you are booting into SAFE MODE and not Normal mode. In Safe Mode, there is a special account called Administrator. That is the account you should log into.

Fenor

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, I am in safe mode. I can't logon in Normal Mode.

And the other account did get the same error.

I forgot to say, this time it came out with both Userinit.exe error AND WgaTray.exe error.

Edited by DJDaveX, 11 May 2007 - 11:34 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
WgaTray.exe refers to Windows Genuine Advantage. Are you sure this version of Windows is legit? Log into Safe Mode with Networking and go HERE. Click on the Validate Now button. Report back on what it finds.

Fenor

DJDaveX

DJDaveX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am certain that this copy of Windows is legit.

It just says app. error, click here to terminate application.

I bought this comp. from HP a few months back, and I have validated it, its got gen. Microsoft Office and stuff.

Is there any way to fix this problem of not being able to logon? I've got quitea bit of work to do. o.O.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.