Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Problem

• Please log in to reply

Madridbear

Madridbear

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi guys

I installed outpost firewall last week, as I was advised to use a firewall.
The problem is, outpost made my computer very slow at startup and shut down with several programs failing to shut down properly and giving me the old end now message.

Anyhow, I deleted said firewall and still when I turned on the computer windows firewall would be off and it would tell me it couldn't find outpost.

Not a problem thought I and done a system restore.
The only problem being that I had done a [bleep] of a lot of work to my computer in the last week in terms of deleting all unused files, cleaning up the desktop and moving what I needed from my second laptop to this one and deleting them from the other so that someone else could use it.....When I restored, all that work disappeared.

The work was more valuable than an outpost message which could and would have been fixed by you wonderful guys so the restore was undone.

I got a message saying a avg file had had to be changed which I didn't pay to much attention to as there was no options. It was simply a "This has been done, HIT OK" which I did.

Now when I try to run it nothing happens, when I try to uninstall it, I get this message

could not initialize AVG anti-virus kernel interface
Application can not run

I can not repair it through add remove programs or through normal file install.
I can not re-install it and I can not un-install it, either through add/remove programs or through the install file.

Thanks in advance.

As a footnote. nvidia twin view doesn't shut down properly when I am shutting down (I haven't even used it for 2 months)
And at start-up I get a windows warning telling me outpost aint on (Its now uninstalled.

Edited by Madridbear, 11 May 2007 - 01:04 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save new copies of AVG and the firewall you want

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Stay offline until the anti virus and firewall are in place

Create a folder in my documents

Use search, include hidden and system files, look for AVG, move anything to the folder you created

Same with Outpost

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Reboot

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install AVG and the firewall

Update and then run a virus scan

Madridbear

Madridbear

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Excellent.

Problem solved.

Many thanks.

:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know

genesiz

genesiz

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i cant remember when it starts but when i tried to install my avg antivirus, after a while my computer just shutsdown, i dont know what the problem is, it displays some error for just a second so i cant read it, somewhat it says "illegal operation" or something like that, i cant figure it out. my task manager has been disabled and my regedit also is disabled, i have so many important files in my pc, please help me. i have tried using malware but still after removing it, it still appears on the next scan, the name of the vendor is "hijack", and another thing is the "surabaya in my birthday" thing upon log on or log off, i would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to remove those "permanently", thanks.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.