Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access violation message

• Please log in to reply

judiconn

judiconn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am using Windows XP, 2000 and lately I have been getting a message as follows:" Access violation at 0x00D17EBC tried to read from 0x00000000. Program terminated."
There is an OK button, which I will press, the screen then goes black for a second. This has happened when I tried to download a trial game from a website (I cannot download them since this began 2 days ago) and agian I got this message after clicking off another web site. I have NOrton antivirus and spyware that came with my antivirus program. What could it be, and is it dangerous to my computer? Thank you for any help you could offer. Judi

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got .net framework installed

judiconn

judiconn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith, No I don't have .netframework installed. What is it? Judi

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The Microsoft .NET Framework provides the foundation for next-generation applications, including ASP.NET web applications.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

judiconn

judiconn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I took a look in My Computer and I have...Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 and also Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 Hotfix, would downloading the one you mentioned be the remedy, and would I need to delete these ones before I downloaded it? Sorry for sounding so naive about these things, but even by reading about the application I still don't have a good grasp what it will do and how it will help with my problem. Could you explain further? Judi

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For 1.1 there is a service pack and a hotfix

You can install 2 as well, though check Microsoft Update after installing it for any service packs

The error code you posted doesn't show anything, removing EBC gives a few things which point to asp

0x00D17

A new game is more likely to be using .net 2.0 than 1.1

judiconn

judiconn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
HI there,
I downloaded .net framework 2.0. When I attempted to play the game I had downloaded I received the same message. This game site just recently has added a download manager when you download their games. I am still receiving these messages, and although occasionally I do like to play a game or two, I certainly don't need that particular site. I have downloaded games from other sites and no problem.I guess I need to ask you, is this error message critical to my computer, or should I just forget that game site?
Thank you for all you help. jud

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You mentioned that you also went to another site and you got the same error message is the site related to the site you are trying to download the game from?

What games are you trying to play and from where?

Jeff_G

Jeff_G

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is this trial version you downloaded for Wow by any chance?

judiconn

judiconn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, It seems the problem is with only one website so far, I have downloaded trial games from Big Fish without problem in the past, that's why I thought it may be from the new download manager you are required to download and install when you want to trial a game. It was not the WOW website. I downloaded and installed and played another game drom another website last night and no problem, I didn't get the error message. I guess I am just wondering why my computer is doing this to this one site? judi

Jeff_G

Jeff_G

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again judi. I have had the same thing happen a couple of times and it has always been with trial versions. It also has turned out to be the download itself missing a patch that is not supplied to the trial version. You can usually go to the site and download the patch directly. It's just difficult to know which patch does the trick...and you also have to delete the install files before you patch it or it won't work. Hope this helps. Good luck. Jeff.