Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hi all,

I recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium. Currently I'm dual booting XP with Vista, yet there is no sound on my Vista OS. I have a SoundMAX audio device. Where can I get a Vista driver for it?

Any advice is appreciated,

Slikkie

Advertisements

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Check out who made your mother board. I had sound issues with Vista and my Sigma Tel hardware, went to Intel site, located correct driver for Vista and it all works great.. :whistling:

Edited by MarkN, 11 May 2007 - 08:45 PM.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hey

Thanks for the advice. I downloaded a Vista driver from the Asus website. My sound works good now. Only problem now is I need to download a Vista driver for my GPU to get the Aero feature working. I'm just wondering, will downloading the Vista GPU driver affect my XP GPU driver at all? Remember I'm Dual Booting.

Thanks in advance

Slikkie

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
no, it won't affect your xp driver because they are two different installations. xp will load its appropriate driver when you boot xp and vista will load its driver when you boot vista.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks for the tip,

One more question. I've noticed that Vista uses about 430MB of physical memory on standby, and when I have IE7 or similair application open. Yet, when playing certain games I sometimes get an error stating that "THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE READ", and Windows then closes the application.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
1GB DDR2 RAM
160GB HDD (Partitioned and resized to 135GB)
128MB GeForce 6150

XP uses about 350MB on standby, and I've never had an error like that.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Get more RAM. Make sure the timing is the same on all RAM sticks!!!!! :whistling:

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I can't understand how this could be the case, since XP only uses 100MB less on standby than Vista. Any other solution?

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
You only have 1gig RAM now. That 100MB maybe the difference when running other programs, wich increases the need for more RAM.

Edited by MarkN, 12 May 2007 - 08:20 AM.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks

Can you give me a rough figure at what percentage memory usage is becoming too high?

Slikkie

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
It all depends on your programs and running processes. To be on the safe side find out the timing of your RAM sticks then get matching 512MB sticks. It should solve your problem.

Edited by MarkN, 12 May 2007 - 12:52 PM.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I've got no clue what you just said lol. :blink: :whistling:

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Every time you start a program more memory is used, hence the need for more RAM. I have just built a new computer, Intel 965lt Mobo, Intel e6600 2.4ghz duo core, eVGA 8800gts graphics card, 200gig hard drive, and have the need for 3gig of RAM. I get scores of around 9300 on 3Dmark06. You might want to go to http://www.pcpitstop.com/ and run a full test on your computer. Its a pretty helpful site.

Edited by MarkN, 17 May 2007 - 05:26 AM.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks for everything. :whistling: