Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easiest language

• Please log in to reply

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Many programming language and concepts are closely related. What's the easiest to learn? If you were to recommend one language to learn, and then build off that knowledge to learn others, what would it be?

Advertisements

freek

freek

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Easiest language would be BASIC or Python. But, for these times I reccomend learning Visual Basic.

transkinetic

transkinetic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
That one with the turtle. Forget what it's called. *smacks head against wall* Nope, still don't remember. Had lots of fun making games in that when I was 11 or 12.

More seriously, php is really easy and might be a good intro to more advanced c++/c.

Not that I actually know any of them well or hardly at all.

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
the one with the turtle was called logo i believe

cobhcf

cobhcf

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
I love PHP ;) ;) :)

Cheers! :tazz:

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Perl maybe ? I've noticed I can at least read Java and C now.
But I recommend german or english. Seems all the good books on programming are in those languages. ;)

Basic was rather easy to learn, but it allows you to create an utter mess. It's also hard (if not impossible) to do anything Orient Objected with it.
In school they gave us Pascal to fiddle with. Not my flavour really.

I guess if you know what you're doing in assembler every programming language is a doddle after that.
I noticed that for my kid JavaScript seems to be an entry-point into the world of programming. Now she wants to learn perl. :tazz:

Logo... is that what Squeak is now?

So what's with Ruby?

Ojo

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
how about fun and easy: html, then javascript(web programming)

here's a possible sequence with the easiest first html, basic, javascript, java, php

javascript is a nice introduction into object oriented programming - you don't really need to understand it fully to use it affectively. java and php are probably at the same level of difficulty.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
im interested in more scripting like wmi, and windows scritping host, and some batch altho is getin old, not to say i know alot so far managed to map a printer and set it as default over the network.

Lightninghawk

Lightninghawk

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I was told HTML should be where anybody should start off at just because its more fun and simple. I am doing ok with that. I'm taking Visual Basic .NET in school right now.

Though I would like to learn more on the Internet Programming such as: JavaScript, Perl, PHP, and CSS. But those will have to wait a little while.

I say that if you want to learn programming start with HTML just to have some fun and test your patience. Then move to Javascript. From there start with Visual Basic.

BuRnEr

BuRnEr

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
use managed enviroment avoid memory leaking(or dont strugle with it manually)..
Dot Net Dot Net does it with garbage Colector and java has that too....
now programmers prefer C# why because it takes feature of C++ and java (two most powerfull language) and its oopl
if you re thinking about the easiest language than there is no such a thing easy language...all of them need's logical and sytax things most difficult one is logical one (creating algorithm),....creating your own methods ,class, ...objects....
syntax is that it converts your algorithm into pl(coding, can bee with any pl language) and compiler convert it in machine language...

C++= pointers and memory;
why C++ is most powerful language because it is a portable,has very rich class library,and it s so flexible(you can do whatever you want because it is between love level (assembly)and high level languages(close to high level)) opss iforget most important concept C++ is also oop(object oriented prog) this concept is so big and big/////////
(C++ programmers nightmare is "BufferOverRun";)

how about perl its not type strong language , you can create small programs with it, (not good for big application programs ) good for web programming, socket prog. and administrators

by the way html is not a programming language it is a (language) that can it s only formats data ....you cant create program with it...
can you do this ;

if(youAre > 18){
cout<<"\n\tyou can go out after midnight";
}else{
cout<<"\n\t"Go to ask your Mom";
askMom();
}
askMom(){
string answer="noooow";
cout<<"can i go out mama:";
cout<<answer;}//sory for the this bad example :tazz:
also knowledge ->xml and html??? no they nothing to do eachother they are not even in same country....
html:formats data
xml :represent data

if you want to learn how to program,you have to be serious and you have to spend time on it (long time)
and as i recomend http://www.geekstogo...aris-t5008.html

if you want to dans on ice , first you have to learn how to skate on ice and than you can start to learn dans figures...as same as learning any pl(learn logic and design firs)

take care
for any comment you can reach me at 192.168.2.10....dont forget to dial national code of mars(©©©©)

Advertisements

Kathryn

Kathryn

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Haha! That's great BuRnEr!

Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The Computer Whisperer

• Expert
  • 3,761 posts
  • MVP
Programming is the art of logical thinking. As the name implies, a language is just that. A means to express something. I can say the same things in Dutch as in English or German or... Same goes for programming. I speak many languages, like C(++), (Object) Pascal, Clipper, Basic and Assembly. I do not regard HTML and the like as programming. HTML is static and the rest ios scripting. So just pick a language you like and go for it.

For the record, I work in Delphi for the last 7 years; and at home I work in combinations of C++/Assembly.

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Any language is just reinventing the wheel like Bobbi said. Learn one, and the rest will be easy. I recommend starting with PHP, it's probably the most useful IMO for site owners.

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
some languages allow you to say things faster than others...

-acht-en-negentig- 8+90 ( dutch, but german is practically the same )
-ninety-eight- 90+8 ( english )
-quatre-vingts-dix-huit- 4*20+10+8 ( french )

The first and the second are easier to grasp than the last. Same is also true in programming languages.

Ojo

BlackSea

BlackSea

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
hi guys i m back afrer sometime(by the way i m CompTia :)
:tazz:
hey brner i red all of your explanations about the languages actually i m learning C# in .net enviroment but i have a problem about polymorfism,inheritance,abstract class or methods and also i cant make my asp.net work.could you give some help here...(i m running windows xp pro on my computer)
thanks to everybody from now who ll atend to help!!!

;) smiley days ;)