Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Net Connection

• Please log in to reply

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello, for some reason my cable modem refuses to work on my other computer. and for some reason i cant connect wirelessly either (Not really worried about connecting wirelessly though.)

Computer Specs:
-Gateway 510 Series
-WinXP SP1
-Pen 4 2.80Ghz
-512mb RAM
-NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
-Adware/Spyware/Virus Protection used regularly are Ad-aware, NOD32 and Norton AV 2003.
-Cable Modem: Scientific Atlanta Webstar DPC2100 Series

i first experinced this problem on monday after i left my computer on hibernate while burning a dvd overnight using Nero (ive done this many many times before and i never got this problem) and after i woke it up out of hibernation my net connection wasnt working. Apps couldnt connect to the net or any games. the browser im using is mozilla firefox the error im getting is "Server not found".

also i was getting weird errors that i never seen from programs that i use reguarly. In Media Player Classic (A video player similar to quicktime) when i tried to start it up i get an error that says "AFXSocketInit Failed!". in Logitech Desktop Messenger (Software that came with my Logitech wireless mouse that reminds me when a new version of the software is out) the error says "Sockets Init Failed."

i'm pretty sure its not the modem cause im using the same modem right now on this computer and it works fine.

i also tried restarting my modem and local area connection in Network connections (BTW, in network connections when i click on the local area connection it says invalid ip adress). i tried flushing the dns and i tried updating modem drivers.

when i tried to renew the ip it gives me an error. something about "RPC service not available". now i know that RPC is Remote procedure call, so i opened up services and it was disabled. when i tried to enable it , it gives me an error. "Error 1068: the dependency or group failed to start". When i try to enable those services i get the same error.

this is the list of services that wont start up:
-RPC
-Remote Access Connection Manager
-Telephony

now this select group of services have been disabled for sometime now before i start getting this problem, but my net connection was fine then, so i said "If it aint broke don't fix it". but now its broke, so i need to fix it :whistling:

so im think its the services that are messed up and the only way to fix that is to reinstall windows. but i want to reinstall windows only as a last resort. so if there are any other ways i can fix this without having to reinstall windows then you're help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You could try running 'System Restore' and choosing a date before the problem started if such a date is available. SR will not make any changes to any files you have in the 'My Documents' folder.

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ah, system restore fixed it. dont know why i didnt think of that! thanks.

i dont have socket error anymore either, seemed system restore fixed that too.

but the "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager", "Remote Access Connection Manager" and "Telephony" services still arnt starting, im getting the same error: "Error 1068: the dependency or group failed to start"

these services (among others) are needed to start up Internet Connection Sharing (which i need on so i can share the net connection using my router). also under properties in my local area connection there isnt even the option to allow internet connection sharing:

Posted Image

as opposed to how to look like

Posted Image

im thinking ill still probably have to reinstall windows to get those services to work, but if anyone knows of a way to fix it without having to, then you're help would be appreciated.

Edited by Jerry_03, 13 May 2007 - 01:58 AM.

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
so ive decided to install SP2 because it might fix my problem, but should i try reinstalling SP1a and then install SP2 or just install SP2 over my current version of SP1 Build 2600?