Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Flickers

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Hello I don't know why but for some reason my CRT monitor has begun flickering. It looks somewhat like one line going through either the bottom or top of the screen horizontally.

The recent hardware change I did was adding a $250 sound card which didn't cause my screen to flicker since I put it in 3 days ago.

I've had my pc on for quite some time and haven't turned it off in maybe 48 hours.

I use a generic PSU from the brand DEER. You can check my signature to see what I have in my pc.

Should I be worried and what is going on? It started happening 2 hours ago and it's done it 6 times. The flicker lasts 1 second and is not on the full screen.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Make sure that the video cable between the monitor and the computer is well secured on both ends. disconnect and reconnect. If it's not this then you probably have a monitor or video card problem. Try to borrow the monitor of another computer, replace with yours and see what happens. If the problem persist then you probably have a video card problem. If it's not an onboard one take it out, clean the contacts and the slot and reinstall. If the problem persists then you probably have to replace the video card.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I'm currently using an alternate monitor, but it's so old from 1996 that I cannot tell if what I see is simply decieving me on this one. A lot of things look weird on this one for example. Like when I open mozilla or certain windows the screen shakes. & I know it has nothing to do with my problem. I know it's probably the fact that this one is so old. I brought it up from the basement so I cannot be sure what to believe on it. I could swear I seen the exact flicker twice but like I said I could be wrong because this CRT is so old.

Back to my original monitor, well I looked and made sure every cable is secure on my original monitor and it is. So what I'm going to do is use the one I'm using to test from the basement for a couple of hours to see if I see the flickers [the one I am currently using]. If nothing arises I will attach the orginal CRT that I always use [The one that is problematic].

This video card is fairly new, it's a Radeon 9550 I purchased brand new at a local computer shop about 9 months ago. I opened up my system today and made sure all of the power supply cables and everything in my computer is cleaned and fastened properly. & of course it is since I do a monthly maintanance on my pc using a can of compressed air.

I hope this is not related to the new sound card I installed a few days ago. It's a very expensive sound card which cost me $250. It's used for professional recording purposed. Such as recording music or sound for movies or radio. It's not a normal sound card like the one I had in it's place before which was a Soundblaster Audigy SE [normal average $40 sound card]. I can tell you one thing for sure, and that's the fact that when I installed this new sound card there were issues with the drivers and installing the pci card made my computer freeze at the xp logo boot up screen. Which rendered my pc useless unless I uninstalled the card physically and booted up. I had to download a newer version of the drivers for it to work. I wonder if this is a driver issue related to my sound card. Maybe something is conflicting with other drivers on my pc or something because the sound card drivers probably have bugs in them. I don't know this is probably a far fetched guess.

I put just about $2500 into this computer and I'm not prepared to lose it. It's fully customized and completely see through with an acrylic case. I have so much important data and expensive hardware in here. I will lose my mind if something happens to it. I need to know what is going on so I can resolve the issue. Otherwise if one thing leads to another and my pc dies... I WILL LOSE MY MIND!!!

There are two things that I know for sure are crap in my setup and that's:

1. A generic "Deer" brand 450 watt power supply unit [which I hear make noises once a month - I was told these are ball bearing noises when the fan has dust stuck in it - which I than clean or the noise goes away by itself within 2 mins - The noise only happens upon boot up]

2. The second thing I assume would be bad is that I still own a CRT monitor. The one I use all the time [the one I started this thread about] is from 1996. I didn't even notice that until I took it down and looked at the manufacturing date on the back. I guess maybe it is the monitor dying or something. The monitor I brought up from the basement to test which I'm using now is from 1996 as well. What a coincidence. They're not the same brand though, and the good one I use is HP.

Can someone please give me more advice?

Edited by superstar, 13 May 2007 - 11:12 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
A 1996 crt monitor is a very old piece of equipment. Basically it's like a television and you can expect degradation of colour, resolution and all kind of other problems.

According to your detailed account (marvelous) there is room for checking if the new audio card could be the problem. Why not just remove it temporarilly and see if it makes any difference?

If you have problems with the fan of the psu you should consider replacing it. If you go for that you should buy a higher rated psu (600 Watt or so) which can take the load of all your expensive hardware. Usually I have no problem whatsoever with generic equipment but with your high quality equipment it might be worthwhile considering a brand name.

Last, please download Everest from my signature below. Run it in Computer > Sensor. Let the computer run for about 10 minutes with an antivirous scan and then report temperatures of the cpu, HD and motherboard. Also report voltages.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
The following is the only information I can provide you with from the scan. Nothing else shows...

Posted Image

Yes good idea I will take out the sound card. But in order to be 100% sure that it is the evil doer, I will use my computer like normal for a day and witness the flickering! Than I will take out the sound card tomorrow, and see how my computer reacts for a full day!

This is my plan if you have better ideas tell me my friend The Skeptic.

You are of need right now. Please help. I do not want my $2500 to go to waste in this computer. Please I beg of you for every computer that has died in our time. It is necessary that we pay respects to them all by keeping mine alive. lol.

No seriously please help. Good idea, bad idea?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Checking temperatures is a standard test that I do with many computers. The WD HDs seems to be fine. The cpu, regretably, doesn't have a temp sensor so we can't know.

At the present I have nothing to add. Please continue as per your previous post.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
After carefully analyzing my situation I'd have to say I'm more than likely wrong. I think it is my monitor. I still haven't taken out the sound card but regardless if I do or not I don't understand why the sound card would make something like that happen every 30 mins or so. It makes absolutely no sense. It was the newest hardware I bought this week so yes I can understand to some extent.

I have a question though...

I put my original monitor back [the one I encountered the problems with], now if it is the monitor and nothing else is wrong would it be harmful to my computer if the monitor eventually dies or breaks down while attached? [ie: while the monitors plugged in]

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No, there is no such danger.

superstar

superstar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I don't know why but I've been using the monitor I encountered the problems with for so long now. & I haven't seen it flicker anymore. Weird huh? Maybe it had to do with the fact that I had my computer on for like 3 days straight and I don't have hibernate or standby on the monitor enabled so it's fully on 24/7. I don't know but that's weird if you ask me. I own a 1.4Ghz Tulation Pentium 3 processor, and from what I know they're not supposed to get too hot. I heard they keep cool and well if it has anything to do with the processor overheating I dunno. Weird...