Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Girl Thing Setting Up Web Site: Help Needed!?

• Please log in to reply

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi All,

Here I am, setting up a dedicated web site in Australia...who knows why but I have a very limited income (pension income) and I can do the web page design myself, and I know how to buy a domain name (did that today, Aus time). Not sure what else I need to do and how to go about hosting (or even sure if I need it or what it means, etc.). The site will not be commercial but will deal with paralegal issues in regard to living aboard boats in Australian waters, licensing, rules and regulations, as well as information, yarns and stories, and the legal issues related to oil spills (unfortunately I met one) and litigation.

I am not very conversant with all of the terminology and tech issues, but I have the domain name and the web site design done. Any help appreciated...can add an advertising link in return for assistance

Ciao,
Yacht Dancing Dolphin

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The web host is where the files that comprise your website are stored. You will need to assign your domain name to the web host DNS (domain name servers) when you contract with one. To do that, you log into where you bought the domain name and change the DNS to the numbers your webhost provides. Then you will log into your webhost and upload your files. It sometimes takes a day or so for the DNS to resolve throughout the world. A webhost should cost between $5-$20 a month, depending on the services they provide and the size of your site. Cheaper webhosting usually involves third party advertising, which doesn't sound appropriate for your site description.
Hope this helps,
Johanna

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi and thanks for the info

Have done that and am now at the stage of uploading. Hopefully problem free, but I'll be back if I have hassles

With Thanks
Dancing Dolphin

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Only the Free ones have ads.

I useing http://www.scarabweb...ting_shared.php they start at $1.5 so it your on a low budget they are great.

http://1and1.com/ is great too, and they start at $3, and give huge about of disk space and bandwidth.

dancingdolphin

dancingdolphin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the tips, looking into them. Looks good so far.

Will post here when I get it all together or need further help.
Thanks Heaps!!!
Dancing Dolphin