Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Legal question

• Please log in to reply

billyboy920

billyboy920

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I am going to install a second HD on my computer. Can I legally install the version of vista I put on my original HD on the second HD, or must I buy another version?

Edited by billyboy920, 12 May 2007 - 09:10 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there a reason for having the same OS on both drives

billyboy920

billyboy920

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Is there a reason for having the same OS on both drives

1) Don't I need an operating system on each hard drive? I bought a oem copy of vista when I built my computer. Why pay for two sets of vista if I can legally install the same copy of vista on the second drive in the same computer.

2) is there a good reason why I would want to have a diferent operating system on each drive, assuming of course that each drive needs an OS?

Edited by billyboy920, 12 May 2007 - 10:37 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it is just a case of adding a drive for extra room, the usual thing is OS and programmes on one drive, data on the other

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

billyboy920

billyboy920

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

If it is just a case of adding a drive for extra room, the usual thing is OS and programmes on one drive, data on the other

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

thanks