Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Me desktop not loading

• Please log in to reply

billwoodcock17

billwoodcock17

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

When I start up my PC, I go through the startup fine; however, a problem happens right after my wallpaper pops up. About half of my desktop icons appear as they should, but the other half of the icons do not appear. Instead, simple blue and white rectangular icons appear.

I also notice that during the startup process, the red light that indicates the hard drive stops right when the icons appear. Also I no longer hear the whirring of the hard drive at that moment.

Clicking on any of the icons does nothing, and the only thing I can do is to do a hard shutdown (turn the computer off at the power swtich) and try again. I've tried powering everything down, disconnecting the power cord, simply resetting the computer-- nothing works.

Any thoughts on how I can get through this?

Thanks,
Bill

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boot into safe mode and search for shelliconcache.

Delete it

reboot. Windows will rebuild the icon cache....

(i suspect icon corruptions)