Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't power on

• Please log in to reply

wemibelec90

wemibelec90

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
For some odd reason, my computer will now no longer power on at all. When I push the power button, the motherboard beeps once and nothing turns on but the power led; not the fans or lights. This began to happen just today. For the last few weeks, my computer has been auto-shutting down because it gets hotter than the failsafe temp I have set in my BIOS. Today, I was on it for 15 min when it auto shut down again. I tried to boot it when the above happened. However, I was still able to boot it after a few tries. It then shut down again and then it wouldn't come back on.

I have tried everything I can think of. I unplugged all of the power cables and re-plugged them in. I pulled out the RAM and video card and put them back in. I tried a new power cord. I cannot figure out what the problem. I wanted to test different components so I could see what the problem is, but I unfortuneately don't have any extra parts to test it with. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem is. Is one of my parts fried? Or, is there some easy solution I don't know of or can't figure out? Any help would be greatly apprectiated!

By the way, I have a GeForce 6800, a GB of RAM, 200 GB hard drive, and am running a duel boot with Windows Vista and Windows XP.
My motherboard is http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813185057
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements