Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple OS

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I recently discovered I could run two OS on one computer, and I want to get Ubuntu. I still want to keep the window because, well, we paid a lot for it...

Can I do it? If so, how? If I change my mind, can I go back to Windows, or to Ubuntu?

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You shure can?

First you want to defrag the Harddrive.

Then install Ubuntu.

Its Partition and install program will allow you to duel boot.

Darkcode

Darkcode

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yes u can dual boot

please tell me do you have two hard drives or just one if u have two u can dual boot without disturbing your windows operating system if only one drive you will have to create two partitions one way around this is to install VMWARE this program allows you to install operating systems within and operating system i rate it

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

You shure can?

First you want to defrag the Harddrive.

Then install Ubuntu.

Its Partition and install program will allow you to duel boot.

Ummm....what happened to sentences? :whistling:

I have one hard drive, but i don't know how to partition it. If/when I install the second OS, do I choose which to start up every time I turn on the computer? Do I have to restart the computer in order to switch OS's? If I have an operating system on one partition, will I be able to access it from the other OS? (ie, I have Ubuntu on drive F:, and Windows on C:. Can I access drive C: from Ubuntu, and F: from Windows?)

What is the compatibility between Windows and Ubuntu as far as files and programs and stuff? Sorry for all the questions, but I know nothing about this kind of stuff...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What you will be doing after you defrag your hard drive is you will be installing Linux. In Linux installation it is going to come to a point of partitioning the hard drive you want to choose a option of use free space or custom. Then you will be reducing the c: partition to a smaller size after you have reduced the partition you will be creating at least 3 partitions. One for the root (/) directory and one for the /home directory you will also be creating a swamp partition.

http://www.linuxdevc...top.html?page=2" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> Here is a URL with more in depth direction only they have you booting to a KNoppix CD first partition then install

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Dual boot > Ubuntu forums

Illustrated Dual Boot Site

Ubuntu Linux / Windows Dual Boot Instructional Video

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts