Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video color display issues

• Please log in to reply

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 video card. It was all running fine for a good time, but all of a sudden i'm having video issues. For example, no matter the number of video adjustments I make using my VLC media player, the appearance of my video is still "dark" and shows no change at all.
This "dark" appearance is the same for all videos (internet-wise, or personal videos) and on all players (WMP, Real, Jetaudio...). The only time the video looks "decent" is when the following window is open: NVIDIA control panel-->video & televison--> adjust video color settings. Even then, no matter how extreme i adjust the settings here, the video does not change from its initial "decent" look. if i play a video while this window is closed, the video resets back to its "dark" setting.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the NVIDIA driver, but the situation is the same. I need some advise, thanks.

Advertisements

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I don't know if this helps but i'm having another problem regarding video files (avi files to be exact). Every time i open a folder, whether a subfolder or not, which contains an avi file, i get the following error:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Following this, all folders close and explorer has to restart itself. I get a similar error when i try to use avi files in video editing or converting programs. Although i don't get these errors when i actually play them.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
just for clarification are you updating with the may 31st,2007 release date of the nividia drivers?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i have not updated to that driver and when i try to it tells me that "nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware."

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
i see that. so have they discontinued support for you your card i wonder? have you tried rolling back the driver or going to microsoft update page?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i've checked the Microsoft update page but there's no help there. as for rolling the driver back, there's no driver to roll back to.

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
ok i see this happens with avi files. is this going on with all media format or just avi. im at a blank over this nividia issue other than getting a couple cans of air taking the cover off you pc and clean it, taking the video card out making sure its tight an put in properly. theres no error messages of any kind when these files cause a restart? the monitor displays ok when not playing videos?

krmooo

krmooo

• PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
litmatch may i suggest keeping up with your posts, because theres some very good tech guys who will be looking at your problem and they'll be able to help you far better than i have. im wondering if the avi file problem is related so theres no type of video file format that plays or what? when you open avi does media player or real player trt an open it? is there a program associated with the file?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download the driver from here. Before you install it uninstall the old driver in control panel > system > hardware > device manager > video adapters. Also, disconnect your internet connection and disable all antimalware program that run in the background (antivirus, antispyware etc)

When you run applications other then media players do you have any problems?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

When you run applications other then media players do you have any problems?

: I do have similar errors when i use adobe premiere 2.0 and winavivideoconverter.

ok i see this happens with avi files. is this going on with all media format or just avi.

: actually, wmv files also cause the same error, but all other formats don't.

theres no error messages of any kind when these files cause a restart?

: just the one i mentioned before.

the monitor displays ok when not playing videos?

: yes.

im wondering if the avi file problem is related so theres no type of video file format that plays or what? when you open avi does media player or real player trt an open it?

: 1: all formats play, although i get image display issues that i mentioned in my first post.
2: when i open avi files wmp tries to play them but can't. i use vlc player to play avi files.

i also tried installing the updated driver again but i still get the same problem.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you have xp installation cd insert it into the cd drive. Click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow. A dialog box will show up and will disappear when the process ends.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
i ran the scan and it resulted in no response which i guess is good.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry, I am not sure I understood what you wrote. You ran the scan and what happened. Did it make any difference concerning the problem?

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
sorry, i must have been drunk or something........i ran the scan but i didn't resolve my problem.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at the back of your computer and see if there is another, onboard, video connection. If yes, move the monitor connection to this one and see if it makes any difference.