Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video color display issues

• Please log in to reply

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I don't know if this helps but i'm having another problem regarding video files (avi files to be exact). Every time i open a folder, whether a subfolder or not, which contains an avi file, i get the following error:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

Following this, all folders close and explorer has to restart itself. I get a similar error when i try to use avi files in video editing or converting programs. Although i don't get these errors when i actually play them.

To solve this problem, do the following:

Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and hit ENTER.
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

Advertisements

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
unfortunately i only have one........do you guys think my best solution would probably be just to purchase another video card?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure at all that the problem is with the video card. If you could borrow another card and install it temporarilly in your computer that could help a lot.

Litmatch21

Litmatch21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
GREAT.....thx Fenor, that did the trick. as for my "dark" issue with videos, i'll try my best to get my hands on another video card and test it out.

Edited by Litmatch21, 04 June 2007 - 05:04 PM.