Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[bleep] iTUNES!

• Please log in to reply

umbongo91

umbongo91

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi :blink:

Ok, so the other night whilst my PC was installing updates whilst shutting down, we had a brief power cut.
The next morning i turned on my PC to find that System was corrupt, so i popped in my Restore DVD, chose 'Restore what was originally on this PC' aka keep everything that was put on since the way it was.

Once this was complete, I restarted my computer and all looked normal and in working order as it was before.

I updated to the newer editions of Internet Explorer & Windows Media Player and checked that everything was in working order and set about opening my iTunes.

To my suprise as soon as i double-clicked, i got this message; iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close, error report blah blah blah.
So i un-installed iTunes, and set about re-installing it.

I kept being told iTunes needs quicktime (which was supposed to be included in the iTunes download anyway :/ but still)

So i tried installing QuickTime seperatly. Suprise, suprise it wasn;t all that simple. I was told 'Fatal Error During Installation' and after several attempts i gave up. After browsing through various sites like yourself i found that this was a common problem, i followed advise and deleted all traces of QuickTime from my registry, and then tried re-installing Quicktime, Hazaar it worked!

Then, i tried installing iTunes again, Wow it worked :whistling:
i breathed a sigh of relief that all was well, i clicked on iTunes, but...

"Duh" iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close. Error Report blah blah blah.

I am at the end of my teather here people, trying to keep calm, but i am reluctant to try un-installing iTunes & Quicktime for a third time if it won't get me anywhere.

Anyone had the same problem or can solve it for me?
it seriously would make my day.

Advertisements

exparisstevie

exparisstevie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi there, I'm not too well versed on iTunes as I used it very briefly (had issues crashing) before finding a much better program that i've never had issues with - maybe you want to give it a look see if you've never heard of it - 'mediamonkey' - you can review the program and download it for free from www.mediamonkey.com

I'm sure you'll get help on here with your iTunes issue if you prefer to stick with it.

Exparis
:whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Sorry, this isn't going to be very helpful, but I do remember having this exact problem once before, just not sure exactly how I fixed it... I do remember uninstalling as much as I could find, and then re-installing it to have it tell me the error. After mucking around with it a bit more, I got a different error saying something about quicktime being stuffed up, and eventually I found a folder under C: that had a standalone quicktime installer in it, really weird cause I remember the folder wasn't named anything relevant to iTunes or Quicktime... Anyway I ran it and then re-installed iTunes and then I think it worked...

Since I sold my iPod I've stayed right away from iTunes, so many errors on xp.

Bobthequill

Bobthequill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All

I hope this helps you guys still struggling with the iTunes version 7.

I lost my completely reliable early iTunes in a system crash when I ran Vista. So on reverting to XP, I had to reload Itunes and try and get my library back from my ipod.

The old iTunes used to do this with no problem.

I already had Quicktime loaded, so downloaded the new Itunes 7. Installed Ok but would not run, got the "Itunes has to close we are sorry" dirge.

So I deleted both Quicktime and iTunes, also the Quicktime update files, then reloaded with Quickime+iTunes. No better! It would install but would not start.

So I had a search on the net and saw some people in similar situations suggesting removing all traces of iTunes and Quicktime from your system, before installing the updated version. Apparently Uninstal is not really UNINSTAL. Stuff is left behind.

So back to uninstall, followed by removal of the Quicktime and iTunes Folders in the Program Files. I also searched in Windows/System 32 and found a Quicktime folder with about seven files in it. Deleted that too.

Lo and behold, at the next complete instal, everything came good and iTunes ran. Empty of course.

Then I tried to find a way of downloading my library from my ipod. Oh no, not any more. Such a function no longer exists.
So back on the net for a search, until I found a little program EPHPOD . I downloaded this, followed the instructions and was able to move my ipod files into a new folder on my desktop. Took about twenty minutes, then I selected them all and dragged them into my Itunes library. Easy peasy!

So why did it take me two days to sort this little change brought about by Mac changes to avaoid letteing customers pirate songs? Don't we have any self determination any more? I do not pirate songs. Paid for everyone of 'em.

Hope this hepls

Bobthequill