Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Too long on youtube = frozen machine

• Please log in to reply

Arokthis

Arokthis

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Whenever I spend a bunch of time on YouTube, my computer freezes up. :help: I can't open any new IE windows, my Start Menu only shows the stuff above the Programs area (Stuff I have put there.), Alt-Tab does nothing, and any clicking done anywhere does zilch. I don't get any error popups, no "Program xyz is not responding" stuff, etc. Zilch. :help: The only way to deal with the problem is to restart by hitting contol-alt-delete and seelcting shut down. :whistling: :blink:

If you need info, you need to tell me exactly how to get it. (Start, control panel, system, .....)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Info from "general" tab in System:

Windows xp
Home edition
version 2002
service pack 2

AMD Sempron Processor
2800+
1.60 GHz, 960 MB Ram
Physical address extension

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first thing to try would be to open the task manager at the beginning of a session and monitor the memory usage and also check how many tasks are running as you proceed. Also check in your event logs, a very underused resource for most people, and see if anything untowards is happening. If you see problems developing, too much memory used, try closing your browser and see if that improves things.

Arokthis

Arokthis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

The first thing to try would be to open the task manager at the beginning of a session and monitor the memory usage and also check how many tasks are running as you proceed. Also check in your event logs, a very underused resource for most people, and see if anything untowards is happening. If you see problems developing, too much memory used, try closing your browser and see if that improves things.

Task Manager: Gotcha.
Event logs: Huh? :whistling: How do I do that?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
How to open event logs.

How to View Event Logs
To open Event Viewer, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
2. In the console tree, click Event Viewer.

The Application, Security, and System logs are displayed in the Event Viewer window.

You cn right click and open with "Properties" any questionable events.

From the microsoft website.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427

SRX660