Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Powers up, but nothing starts

• Please log in to reply

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello all. I cleaned out my desktop today, using compressed air, cleaned all the fans from the dust and such, but now she won't turn on. I don't know if I knocked something loose or what. I opened it back up and had a look at all the cables, double checked all the peripherals, but it won't turn on. It'll power up, but nothing appears on screen, no matter how long I wait.

Please, help a poor hardware newbie, what did I do? And how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
What do you mean by power up? What exactly does that entail? Try giving us as many details as possible as to what happens.

Dreylivude

Dreylivude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ok, well when I press the power button on it powers up. The Power LED lights up, and the HDD LED lights up, I can hear the fans start, and my cd and dvd drives blink, all like they should, but then nothing continues after that, no signal goes to the screen so it doesn't even come out of sleep, I don't hear window's start up through the speakers, and my optical mouse doesn't even get power. The power and HDD led's stay on, unblinking, and that's all. It just stays like that. SO I have to hold in the power button to shut it down.

I hope that's detailed enough. Oh, and there are no beeps at all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try the following steps. Test the computer after each step.

Pull out the power cable from the back of the computer, wait few seconds and plug in.

Open the box, disconnect the large connector that plugs the psu to the motherboard and plug it back. Don't push too hard but make sure it sits in place. Make sure that all the leads that go into this plug are in place and that none is halfway or all the way out.

Take out the video card (if it's an add-on one) clean carefully the contacts on the card and the slot in the motherboard and place it carefully but firmly back.

Do the same with the memory modules.