Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window xp usb keyboard problems

• Please log in to reply

astros

astros

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Wireless USB Keyboard and mouse. For some unknown reason the keyboard has stopped working. The mouse works fine but nothing works on the keyboard except the following:

The hotkeys/shortcuts at the top of the keyboard work fine, but none of the rest of the keys work. also it works at startup where you can pick to go to safe mode and stuff.

i am using the onscreen keyboard at the moment. thiis is urgent, please help, thanks

Edited by astros, 13 May 2007 - 01:31 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! Please note that if anyone gives you suggestions (like me) and then someone who is STAFF tells you to do something, ignore me and do what STAFF tell you to do. They are the really smart ones...

In regards to your keyboard problem, have you made any changes recently to your computer? This would include: Installing or uninstalling software (programs), deleting system files, installing or uninstalling hardware (like printers, PCI cards, graphics cards).

Please advise of the make and model of keyboard and mouse set. Also advise of ANY other peripherals connected to your computer that plug in via USB, as it is possible that you could have a conflict.

How do you know that the keyboard works at startup (prior to XP loading)? By actually using the keyboard to select safe mode or something? By proving that it does work at this point, then it rules out that the keyboard or wireless receiver is physically faulty and the problem lies in XP.

I can think of two things:
1. The USB port is faulty - try plugging into a different port.
2. The software on your computer (called a driver) has become corrupt and needs to be re-installed.

And by the way, it's cool to see the Canadian flag - my uncle lives over there. Not that he can help you fix your keyboard, but when I visited him for a holiday, I LIKED it there. (Mind you, I LOVE it here in Australia)

Edited by ruthandtroy, 14 May 2007 - 03:50 AM.