Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Continually loud fan

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 almost two years old. I got it a video card a few months ago and since then (before too, but much more pronounced now) the fan is continually running. And it's pretty loud. I'm concerned that my machine is overheating. Is there something I should do or check? (No, my CPU does not have a heat sensor...stupid Dell) If I need a new/another fan what do I need to know?

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried cleaning the fan? Sometimes dust can build up inside not only the fan, but also any "holes" or vents leading to outside the machine. Has anything changed since everything was doing well?

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
No I have not tried cleaning it. It never really was doing well. Pre video card it wasn't as pronounced but any full screen program (3D or not) would cause the fan to get going loud. Now it's almost continual (not full-screen). I could control it the last few months more-or-less by keeping my window (in the mountains) wide open with snow falling in the middle of the winter. I like the cold anyway. But now with a hot summer approaching that won't be an effective option....Where is my fan anyway? Would there be one over the CPU and one main one for the machine? Use that compressed air stuff? I have no idea what I'm talking about in the hardware department....I'd just like to get through the summer without A. Frying my computer, B. Using it minimally and no full-screen games, or C. Having my ears blown out from the noise of the fan all summer.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Well, there should be one over the Power Supply Unit (PSU) and some computers have an extra one or two fans, just to keep the place cool. You'll have to look inside to figure out how many you have, and which one is causing issues. Yes, using compressed air is the most common way to clean the fan out, especially if you aren't quite confident on what you're about to do. I use a quitip dipped in rubbing alcohol to gently absorb all of the dust myself, but that's far too obsessive compulsive :whistling:

I say clean it, and if that doesn't help you, run over to the computer store and buy yourself a new one. For me, installing a new fan is simple, but for users who don't open the beasts up often, Google up some tutorials and read the instructions well. Let us know if you need help of course :blink: