Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP,no internet no NORTON

• Please log in to reply

lwiljanen

lwiljanen

• Pip
  • 7 posts
;) As soon as I turn my computer on, I start having boxes pop up that say NEW HARDWARE, and NEW HARDWARE WIZARD.(before ever getting to the desktop) There is no new hardware. It looks anyways, about 4 times. I also get errors about SUR create key failed!(2 letter after SUR. I can't remember)
And my disrupt thing for recieving phone calls says it can't connect to modem. And when I try to connect to internet, it immediatly says Cannot Dial. I ran ad aware, and had the normal things there. I tried to do system restore and it wouldn't let me, no restore points or something like that. When I tried to run Norton it said something about an internal problem. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, but it said sometong about going back to original because of attacker or virus. This had me going around and around and around in circles.
I am on a friends computer now, so I will check back later .PLEASE PLEASE explain in very precise and basic (child like) terms if there is something that I can try to do. I am not very good with computers yet, so PLEASE do no talk over my head because I am sure you guys are probably really smart with all of this stuff.
I would REALLY appreciate your help. THANKS!!!!!!!!! ;) :tazz:

Advertisements

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
What I would do is just save all of my important files to a disk, and do a complete reinstall.

What operating system do you use? I notice on your info it says ME, but I don't know if that is on the computer your using now, of if thats the operating system of the computer that is having the problems.

If it is ME, I will still be able to help with a re-install, but I will just have to look into it a little, since I use XP. Just tell me if your willing to do all of this, and what operating system the infected computer uses, and I
ll be glad to help.

lwiljanen

lwiljanen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes, I have Windows Millenium
edition. I just recieved my new DELL today and it will have
xp. I am bringing it in to a computer place and they are going to copy all my old computer stuff to the new one, but I was hoping to get rid of whatever this problem is for 2 reasons: I am not hooking up the new computer until I bring it in to the computer place, so that means I am computerless until then! AND, i really can't afford to pay them extra to ake care of whatever this problem is so I was hoping to take care of it before bringing it there. That $45 an hour really adds up!

I ran something today from my Norton disc(I have no idea what) and it said no........now I can't remember, 2 of the bad virus thing anyways.

I know you guys will laugh, but I don't know how to put my stuff on disc. I have NERO to burn things, but the only thing I know how to do is make a VCD with my photos. :tazz: THANKS again, Lisa

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Ok, there are a couple of ways to put files on a disk. You can put it on floppies, or CD's. CD's hold a lot more information than floppies do, but not all computers come with CD writing capabilities. One easy way to find out is to get a blank CD, and put it in the CD-ROM drive. A pop-up should come up, and if one of the options reads "open writable CD folder", then you can write on CDs. If not, just stick to floppies.

I would suggest getting some sort of CD writing software such as Roxio Easy CD creator. It all depends on the type of files you want to put on the disk or CD.

Just respond with whether or not you can record on CD's (by doing what I stated above) and I'll take you through from there.

lwiljanen

lwiljanen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a CD burner, and the Cd's--CDR's and CDRW's. I just don't know want to do with the juno software (other than make a dvd of pictures like I mentioned.) And I know how to copy an existing CD (but not how to make one from the computer)
I won't be back online now til hopefully sometime I can tomorrow. (I hate not having a working computer hooked up!)
Thanks, Lisa

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Since I'm not too familiar with Juno, why don't you just try this:

Put in a blank CD, and open the writable CD folder. From there, you can copy and paste any documents you want to keep. Once you have everything you can put on it that you think you should keep, there should ba a button that says "write these files to the CD". Go ahead and click that, and they should be written onto the CD.

dflo404

dflo404

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
After you have the CD, you should definently test it on someone elses computer, to see if you can open the files.