Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quest to find the right Mobo

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok so I tried searching and couldn't find a midrange perfect motherboard for my build. Here is what I'm looking for:

2 x IDE ports
1x PCI-E 16x slot
at least 2 x PCI slots
Socket 775 (T)
4 x DDR2 800 MHz support
Fairly Overclockable
Priced around $100-$130 CA
High FSB support (for overclocking)
some PCI-E x 1 slots wouldn't hurt
and anything else that I might think of later.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Soorena

EDIT: If it helps I'm planning on purchasing the folloeing other parts:

1) Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2) Sapphire X1950 Pro
3) OCZ Gold Kit 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz

Parts I have are:

1) 2 x 80GB hard drives (IDE)
2) DVD-RW Drive (IDE)
3) Floppy Drive (don't really need it)
4) Case + 700 Watt PSU
5) Creative Labs 5.1 Channel Surround Sound Card
6) TV Tuner

Edited by SOORENA, 13 May 2007 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
This is the best I could find with the time I've got. Unfortunately Newegg doesn't deliver to Canada so you're stuck with Tiger Direct.

http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=2432

The only thing missing is the 2nd IDE port, but you can easily find a SATA to IDE adaptor fairly cheap.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
In that case is THIS one a good one? Its a better chipset and also a better brand. HERE is the manufacturers site. I will buy an adapter later.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 15 May 2007 - 06:30 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok so I decided that I will be getting the following instead:

CPU Intel CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHz 4MB FSB 1066MHz
Memory 2 OCZ Gold XTC 2GB Kit DDR2 800MHz (OCZ2G8002GK)
Video Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950XT 256MB,2DVI,PCI-E,VIVO

Not much different just the graphic card, due to the change my budget is now between 100 and 120.
So now that I don't need a second IDE I think its easier to find a motherboard. The problem is that I can't order that Motherboard I listed earlier therefore I need to find something that is overclockable and supports DDR2800.

Thanks in advance

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
if you can up your budget a tad, go for one of these. Yes, I know its newegg, but I'm sure you could find them on another site (or from EVGA directly). The EVGA 680i series is AMAZING for overclocking. The cheapest one is $165 CAD, so its about $45 CAD over. But I'd recommend saving up. :whistling: You can read reviews of stock cooling 3ghz+ OCs on the processor you're getting with these boards.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'll have to agree get the 680i line, there are two versoins LT and SLI, one is for overclocking purposes and the other is more mainstream (though still a pretty good overclocker). The best thing about that 680i line is that is supports FSB of 1333 meaning that it'll support Intel's next line of CPU's coming out in the summer or early fall. Not to mention most of them support PC-8000 and have passive cooling so you don't have those annoying little fans that spin at very fast RPM's (so they are loud) and a pain to replace.....just had to replace on the other day, not fun.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 06:19 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

if you can up your budget a tad, go for one of these. Yes, I know its newegg, but I'm sure you could find them on another site (or from EVGA directly). The EVGA 680i series is AMAZING for overclocking. The cheapest one is $165 CAD, so its about $45 CAD over. But I'd recommend saving up. :whistling: You can read reviews of stock cooling 3ghz+ OCs on the processor you're getting with these boards.

Can you tell me where you found the 680i for 165 CAD? Because the cheapest on I can find is $212.00 at tigerdirect.ca.

Thanks

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I saw one for 180 somewhere but never cheaper then that and I think that was a deal. I'll look around but I can almost guarentee that you'll spend more then 200$.
James

Edit: Got this
http://www.ncix.com/...manufacture=XFX
But I'm not a huge fan of XFX even though they are based out of Ontario.

Here this is the 680i mainstream board which isn't quite as good but still a reletivly good overclocking board, it cuts back on one PCI-e slot though.
http://www.ncix.com/...anufacture=eVGA

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 04:25 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Or this one
http://www.ncix.com/...e=MSI/MicroStar
I'd just go with the 650i as they are pretty well just as good. People reach 3GHz and higher if you wanted to know.

And this is the one I plan on getting
http://www.tigerdire...a...&CatId=2438

Just want to add something, Vista is very picky with overclocking.

James

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 04:32 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Its funny how XFX and EVGA have the EXACT same mobo:

XFX

EVGA

which one is better?

P.S: Anyone heard of that site?

Thanks

Soorena

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yes I have heard of it, but I still remain suspicious. Actually it was on my list to do to ask in another forum where I originally heard from it. From what i hear it's a reseller from NCIX.com. NCIX.com is reputable I have ordered from them a number of times without any problems. We really need another computer hardware site that ships to Canada though. Yeah I originally thought the site screwed up but it was indeed right, look at the stickers below the top PCI-e slot.
James

Edit: They are new as you can see at the BBB, they registered in august 2006
http://www.bbbvan.or...tml?bid=1227677

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 06:08 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://forumz.tomsha...1670742#1670742
There everyone posting in that topic is submitting nothing but good responses. I think I'm going to buy my case there in June to use it as a test run.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Lol, the stickers are the only difference I see. So do you by any chance know if the EVGA one is better than the other? The prices in that site are cheaper than NCIX thats why I'm going with them.

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 19 May 2007 - 07:29 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Tell me how it goes, somethings are cheap on there some not. Memory is cheaper on Tiger I find.
The main reason why I like Evga over XFX and other brands is because of it's support. If you have a problem they'll hold your hand till it's fixed, the others you have to chase after. Or so I hear anyways, I havn't had any problems with motherboards failing.....knocks on wood.
James

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thought you might like this, yes is Asus, but it'll still give you an idea.
3.33GHz on air ain't bad.
http://www.hothardwa...50i_SLI/?page=4
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 May 2007 - 07:44 PM.