Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quest to find the right Mobo

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is even better, to bad I never found this site earlier.
http://www.anitec.ca...daysale08/3330/
Would have bought 2 sets.
James

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
By the way james, I have another site that I'm buying my Video card from which I think you might like.

www.etccomputer.com they have a store in toronto so I can pick it up but too bad for you, :whistling: lol.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I have computer boularvard and computer avenue. :whistling:
I think I'm going to buy a 500GB hard drive now, 125$ special!
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
We posted at the same time, I don't get it aren't they the same?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Nope they are competitors.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Whoa major lag. I meant aren't the Rams that we posted the same? Also when I click add to cart it doesn't work on yours.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
lol it was a victory day special. They are sold out.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
still 104 isn't bad. Ok so far the only thing thats holding me back is the mobo. I have to get the PSU so that means that the Motherboard has to be cheaper. Here are the parts so far:

Memory: OCZ Gold DDR2800 ($104.00)
Mobo: Asus P5N-E SLI ($153.00)
Video Card: Sapphire XT1950XTX ($229.00)
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6600 ($267.00)
PSU: ULTRA X-Infinity 600W ($59.97)

Total: $ 813.00
+ TAX $ 927

I need to make it cheaper by like 40-50 bucks. The only thing I can maybe save on I thought was Motherboard but tell me if there is anything else.

Thanks

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really wouldn't cheap out on anything else. Are the prices really that cheap at that store?!
If you can get a cheaper XT1950XT get it, it can easily be overclocked to just under the same settings, or so I have heard. But that should shave off 20-30$.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I recommend a DX10 video card... most new games will use DX10 and have an option for DX9, but will be much prettier (and in some cases also run faster) with DX10. Within a year though, games will start transitioning to DX10 only. Why buy two pricey video cards when you could just buy one? You could get this nice DX10 card for about $175 CAD. (sorry for the newegg link again, I'm just not very familiar with Canadian sites)

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Don't get the 8600GT.
It's crap.

I thought I'd do the same and recommend only DX10 to look towards the future, well this isn't the case. Current DX10 cards are probably going to fall apart in DX10 games because they will be so demanding, the mid range DX10 cards (below 8800GTS) won't hold a candle to a DX10 game because it won't be able to do any of the available eye candy. The fact is, we won't be seeing any DX10 only games till a long time, probably 1 1/2 years down the road. To me Nvidia's budget DX10 line is a failure at large for the price point when better DX9 cards are still available.

On another note don't just find a card and then use the currency difference to determine the price, because there is much more involded just as taxes and duties and the list goes on and on. We probably pay 20% more after you take the dollar into effect.

SOOREA stick with the card you have or get the x1900xt to save a bit of $$$.

James

Edited by james_8970, 23 May 2007 - 09:22 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I can get the 1950 PRO cheaper than what I listed there around 40 dollars cheaper. Will I notice a big difference if I buy the XT1950XT? Because I noticed it was part of the top 10 cards on tomshardware. Also the 8600GT is basicly the same as the 7600 series only its DX10, as I've heard.

Thanks

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 24 May 2007 - 05:52 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
the XT version easily overclocks to the XTX version or just under, or so I have heard. If this is the case then know, because there is the same hardware there except for DDR3 instead of DDR4. Aside from that the only difference is clock speeds.
James