Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Badly need help.... I honestly dont even know where to begin

• Please log in to reply

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi geeks,

I've just returned from a nice round the world trip to find the family PC has a whole world of issues. They are as follows:

1. .exe files no longer seem to work. Even the setup option on the Windows XP CD wont run for me - apparently "D:\SETUP.EXE is not a valid win32 application"

2. CD Audio files wont play for me. I can read the CD's no problem but when i go to play it, there is always an unexpected error - regardless of what i try to run it on (media player, Creative Zen mediasource, iTunes, Real). It should be noted that I CAN play MP3 CDs though.....

3. My computer is running so slowly it's actually scary. Even this post is taking ages to appear on screen as i type it. The Internet itself seems to be okay (speed wise) but when i go to scroll down a page it gets very distorted

4. Sound seems to be extremely choppy. A video on youTube is a good example as it just seems to skip and jump audio every two seconds or so - sounds like a scratched CD or something. Even when i start Windows and the opening chime plays, it sounds really choppy.

I should point out that it's a brand new DVD-RL drive that i put in but apparently the sound issues were there before i did so. Also, i personally cant see how they would affect .exe files with such a message (which is my main concern). I have all of the latest Windows Updates and have been keeping an eye on the Windows Task Manager but there is nothing unusual jumping out at me. And i dont know what the family have surf'd through the last few months. I'm totally stumped.

If anyone could help me with these issues, i would be extremely grateful. I can post any HJT logs or Panda scan logs if need be.

Many thanks in advance,
Noobsaibot21

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

noobsaibot21

noobsaibot21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hello again,

Just to let you know, i have determined that the new DVDRL drive was the problem and, after disconnecting it, the PC went back to normal. However, i have an even bigger issue now so i will make a new post for it. You can close this topic.

Thank you,
Noobsaibot21