Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 XP's when Boot up

• Please log in to reply

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Ok, I added a second HD. My first thought was since it was bigger to make it my main drive, so I tried to just copy all the files directly over... that didnt work.

So then I tried to install XP on the new HD and just reload all the files (cause I just formated the smaller one yesterday!)

Well I decided to just keep the XP running as I already have it and use the bigger HD as the backup/file storage. So I reformatted the new HD and left the old one alone.

Now whenever I restart the computer it shows 2 xps for me to chose from. If I pick the top one it tells me that there is missing files and to reinstall them. So I have to pay active attention and chose the second one.

So How to I get the boot-up to forget that I installed the second XP???

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click Start then Run, type msconfig then press enter

Click on the BOOT.INI tab

Click on Check All Boot Paths

If Windows finds a corrupt or additional install of XP, it will ask you if it's okay to delete the entry for the unused/older/corrupt version. Click Yes / OK and then reboot

LiaoGoren

LiaoGoren

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
as usual... I have learned something new and the geeks have shown that they are wiser than myself...lol

Keep it up keith...