Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

GAME CARD with ALL IN WONDER PRO

• Please log in to reply

montero

montero

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I would like to install a 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X card that also has ALL IN WONDER PRO. This card was taken out of an older Sony Viao with Windows 98 (no driver/installation card). The comptuer it is going into has the Speaker output connection permanantly attached to the motherboard with the following listed under SOUNDS/MULTIMEDIA :

NAME TYPE
standard game port sound/video
VIA AC '97 enhanced audio(WAVE) sound/video
legacy audio driver sound/video
media control devices sound/video
legacy video captutre device sound/video
video codecs sound/video

What i need to know is do i have to disable any of the above items and if so how do i disable them before installing the came/tv card.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First you need to disable the 'Via AC 97 Audio' device by going into the BIOS setup of the PC. This will also prevent it's associated drivers from being loaded when Windows starts. To get into the BIOS setup you need to hold down a certain key (usually the 'Del' key) as soon as the PC is turned on.

having done that, you should switch of the PC (at the mains supply) and fit the new sound card. Boot into Windows and install the appropriate driver for XP. It won't work without a driver, so get that first. depending on how old the card is, there may not be an XP driver for it. look on the ATI website under 'Support->Drivers' or something similar. Or use google to search for an alternative source. It must be an XP-compatible driver or it won't work.

Edited by pip22, 15 May 2007 - 12:21 AM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
removed