Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connection and CPU issues. Thank you for help.

• Please log in to reply

tinab16

tinab16

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello.
I am here from the malware forum. We got rid of some malware and cleaned up my computer, but was referred here because I'm having connection/network issues.

I use Windows XP, have a dial-up connection, and use AOL.
I cannot access the internet w/o disabling Norton and still it freezes up often.

I've noticed under Networking in task manager that three things show up under Adapater Name
(Local area connection, wireless network, and The Internet (1).) These did not show up before my malware issues. I also have a WAN miniport which I did not have before.

When I am on AOL, it shows up as an application on my taskmanager, but so does "connecting to Internet 1"...which is odd.

I am unable to shut down svchost.exe Local Service which I never had a problem shutting down before. Often times can't shut down CCAPP and CCEVTMGR.EXE and some others.

There is also a 1394 adapater/network which I cannot disable.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will make a donation for assistance.

Edited by tinab16, 14 May 2007 - 10:50 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First of all I would uninstall Norton and remove it from my computer forever. Download Norton Removal Tool from symantec intenert site. I would replace Norton with microsoft firewall which was probably disabled by Norton and might need reactivation in control center, Avast as antivirus and Superantivirus as antispyware. Both programs are excellent, give unlimited real time protection and are free for home users.

If this doesn't help I would try to replace the driver of the modem. Uninstall it in Device Manager and reboot. If you are lucky windows will reinstall the driver automatically. If not, you will have to reinstall from a driver disk or floppy.

If still no good I would perform XP repair installation. Use the link in my signature for a repair installation guide. Before you do the repair please run disk cleaner and the defragmenter.