Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Refilling Printer Cartridges

• Please log in to reply

snickers

snickers

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Is it recommended to refill printer cartridges, or is it better to just spend the extra money and buy a new one?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Well, that really depends on how old the printer is and if you really don't care if you void the warranty or plug up the printing head.

I have toated two Epson's using either generic ink cartridges or re-filled ones.

Also, the newer cartridges have a chip built in to tell you when the cartridge is running out of ink. If you re-fill it, that doesn't reset the chip and it still won't print.

With the price of printers now and the cost of the replacement cartridges, I consider most of my inkjets as throw aways as I can get a new one cheaper than replacing the cartridges.

Murray

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
It is an older printer, a Lexmark X73, about 5 years old.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You could probably get a new printer that is heads and tails above that one for less than the cost of new cartridges. I wouldn't even be hesitating here.

Murray

snickers

snickers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Is there a particular model/brand that you would recommend? I would like a color, all in one printer in which the ink doesn't cost that much or doesn't need to be replaced that often? Would you suggest a laser rather than an inkjet?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, I really don't care for the all in ones due to the fact that if something goes wrong with a portion of it you lose everything until you get it back from repair.

Right now, I am using an Epson R220 Photoprinter for my high end color printing and an HP 2500L Color laser for everyday. Very satisfied with both but what you get is a matter of your prefernce and likes.

Murray