Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop is Screwed

• Please log in to reply

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
So I left my computer on all night because I was running a program that took a long time to finish. So I wake up and get a couple errors and when I reboot, what do you know a BSOD. So being the half-tech savvy person I am, I decide Im going to plop in my recovery cd and well, it can't copy 75 or so files. So guess what happes when I reboot. It doesn't work. It goes through the Compaq splash screen and then it just restarts. Im stumped and I need this laptop really badly for school. Please if their anyway to fix this. I really would not like to send it in to HP. I could ask for another CD, but it would take too long. I need a fast fix for this. Greatly appreciate ayone who helps me.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do you have a windows install disk?

Anything that you could reinstall windows with?

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
If you read it I do have a recovery disk but 75+ files are corrupted.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Do you know someone with an OEM install CD? That way you could reinstall the OS with the key Compaq used.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Yea. I know a guy who's probably going to make me a startup cd and Ill use it to repair my computer.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Many times when there are a lot of files that won't copy during an installation, it's a RAM module having fits. Try running Windows Memory Diagnostics on the machine to verify that it's not the RAM causing the problem.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
You know what I think your right. When I opened my laptop after letting it sit I opened it up and got a few RAM errors. Thanks a lot for the idea wannabee. Helpful for me yet again. Will it fix the problems with the RAM though. I threw the CD against the wall when it didn't work so hopefully it still works. And HP customer service SUCKS MASSIVE CHUEVOS. I called and even though Im still in warranty they wont send me the [bleep] recovery CDs without making me 20 bucks. That's stupid for a little CD. Honestly.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Running memory diagnostics will not fix the RAM problem...it will only tell you if the module(s) are good or bad. Run the diagnostic for a couple hours at least. If the tests (any of them) fail, there is a bad stick in there and it will have to be replaced.

That being said, if you have more than one stick of RAM installed, remove one and try the installation. If no joy, try it with just the other stick installed.

Perspective...$20 is a small price to pay if the alternative is a $1200 paperweight. :whistling:

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Well Im getting a new comp in a month anyways. Also should I just burn it to a disk like it's data.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It will need to be burned as an ISO image. There are instructions on the download page and you will be offered the choice of creating a boot floppy or a bootable cd. You may need to use a burning application like ISO Recorder.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
I know now I hadn't opened the file. Thank you wannabe. I wish this site had some sort of like rep type thing where you could add it up and people would get recognition for the work they do. You deserve it, as well as a few others. Ok well I failed all of the tests. If it says Failed next to the test, does that mean I failed it. If it does then I failed all 6 tests. [bleep] RAM. Now I need to buy new RAM. I was going to buy new anyway.

Edited by Drumbum667, 14 May 2007 - 08:18 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...failed = no good. The RAM was probably the problem from the git-go. Replace it with some good RAM and you should be set.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Just to be sure. how do I ground myself before installing my RAM. Do i just put my feet on a piece of metal that's on the ground. Do I have to keep it there. Thanks a lot Wannabe.

Edited by Drumbum667, 15 May 2007 - 05:21 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just touch a metal part of the case with your bare hand before you touch anything inside. Doing this will discharge any static charge to ground.

Drumbum667

Drumbum667

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
It's a laptop. I have this chair with metal legs could I touch those.

Edit: Im lucky I have extra RAM laying around. Plopped that in and voila. And I just ordered a 1 GB stick of memory. I'm wondering why DDR notebook memory is more expensive than DDR2

Edited by Drumbum667, 15 May 2007 - 08:17 PM.