Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP HELP HELP! ERROR CHECKSUM!

• Please log in to reply

D.J.

D.J.

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Pleaseee Forgive me if i use poor language but i will describe my problem as best as I can.

I packed my stuff leaving from college my computer was on. Instead of shutting down my roommate who was helping me pack just shut off my surge protector by accicdent which my comp was plugged into. Now that i'm home my computer wont come to the main screen for me to log into windows, instead it just continues to shutdown then reboot again. I pressed F8 and disabled auto restart with system failure. Now i get a blue screen that reads "The image wininet.dll is possibly corrupt. the header checksum dosent match the
computted checksum stop:c00002 {bad image checksum}" I've tried using my recovery cd but my only two options are Full recovery or to view system utilities (even with the cd). Keep in mind i cant even get to windows to access start or my computer can anyone pleasee help me?!!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi D.J.! Welcome to G2G!

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey Fenor thanks i'm glad i found the site and plan to become more active member.

I can't seem to find my XP disc but will certainly look. But in the mean time, are there any alternatives to if I cannot find it. I have a (Sp2) disc but i doubt that will help. All I can seem to find is my recovery discs.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you know how to burn an image onto a CD, you can download the Recovery Console ISO from HERE. Once it is burned onto the CD, just follow the instructions from my previous post.

Fenor

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Would there be any chance if i have an external HD or no?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What do you mean an external hard drive? Windows is installed on this external hard drive?

Fenor

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no no i mean is there any way i would be able to fix my problem by uploading the image to my external and then accessing it from there. I can prompt my computer to reboot start by detecting external devices instead of say a cd or HD

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
No, you need to burn the image of RC.iso onto a CD, that is the only option.

Fenor

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thanks for the help i appreciate it, and i'm assuming it needs to be burned from a Windows based comp not like a MAC

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That I couldn't tell you because I don't use a Mac, but my better judgment would say yes to having to burn it on a Windows-based PC, because Mac and Windows files systems are different.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 20 May 2007 - 10:20 PM.

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey fenor just a few quick questions if you dont mind. (or to anyone else who may know)

1). Should the computer automatically notice the cd in the drive, or do i need to prompt my computer to do so by pressing F12 and selecting the Cd-rom drive

2) Are the "/" between the p and the r does that mean i need to press enter or insert a back slash?

3) (this might sound like a dumb question) but, there is only one ISO file that needs to be installed correct being that it is the one that is missing?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Answer to your questions.

1.) depends on your computer manufacture and your BIOS settings.
2.) Type it out egzactly how he put it chkdsk /p /r (notice the space in between the k and the / and the p and the /)
3.) You need to burn the ISO using A ISO burner it is usually a function with cd burner software. If you do not have a cd burning software you can use Deepburner

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thanks tux....well i finally got the image properly burned to a cd while at work...any suggestions or things to try in case the cd does not work once i get home? I'm using an IBM NetVista if that helps any.

D.J.

D.J.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Ok thanks tux....well i finally got the image properly burned to a cd while at work...any suggestions or things to try in case the cd does not work once i get home? I'm using an IBM NetVista if that helps any.

So...the cd works perfectly fine however after the installation is done and the computer reboots i still get the same error wininet.dll etc Any suggestions?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Have you tried doing a repair installation? If you don't know how to do that, you can use the link in my signature as a guide. A repair installation only fixes the operating system. All your programs will still work afterwards and you won't lose any of your data. You will however have to redo all Windows Updates after the repair installation is complete.

Fenor

*EDIT* -- You will of course need to find your XP disc to do this repair. There really isn't anything else you can do for the computer unless you find that disc.

Edited by Fenor, 22 May 2007 - 09:06 PM.