Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with Zone alarm

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok well first of all i should fill you in,

my university has an online tutoring program that basically manages all of my course such as assignment submissions, assignment details, course information and basicall y everything that i need to partake in the course is online through this system called "blackboard". On black board the lectures and tutors use alot of .pdf files and i have been haviong a hard time tryin to accsses them.

but if i shut down zone alarm compleatly then its fine,

is there a way to allow unrestricted accsess to this site through zone alarm with out shutting it down compleatly???

any help would be apprciated

Troppo

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. When the computer loads the blackboard program, does Zone Alarm tell you that something is trying to access the internet? It should ask you if the program has permission to access the net.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Sorry i should have made it a bit clearer

its not actually a program that i have installed on my computer but more of a "log-in" to the university server what i do is go to a certain URL and then type in my details like my username and passowrd and then from there i can accsess all of teh information so i guess its like a normal website that you have to log into

i hope that makes sense :whistling:

also the lecturers post up 'pop' up windows and sometimes internet explorer blocks them which then means i hand in an assignment late and loose marks :blink: its happened before lol

so any help would ge greatly appreciated thanks for the reply also

Troppo

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, the pop-ups shouldn't be hard. When Internet Explorer blocks the pop-ups, it should show a tan bar the the top of the window, right? Click on it and select Always allow from ____ . For Zone Alarm, I guess no messages show then, right? Nothing about (application name) has been blocked, etc? What security level is Zone Alarm set to right now?

Vegan5589

Vegan5589

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Totally unblock your pdf reader. and open zone alarm go to firewall and add the site as trusted.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Ok well currently my "internet zone security" is set to high it automatically did this after a learning period which the program did itself

and no there is no alerts from zonealarm because its not a program i have installed

my "trusted zone security" is set to medium also did this itself

as far as allowing the site i have already set it to allow all communication through the site but its still giving me problems i dont understand why i thought i exempted this site from any blockages or whatever

thanks again for the help
Troppo