Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jumpy frames on Handycam AVIs converted DVDs

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks, I tried to do some research with Google but since my problem involves too many keywords the search results just lead me to everywhere.

I've got a cheap model of Sony DV Handycam, brand new and functioning smoothly. I usually capture the video data off the handycam via Sony Vegas then convert/burn the AVIs onto DVD using ConvertXtoDVD. It's been working out great and I'm happy with the outcomes.

Till the other day I made a DVD of a friend's graduation ceremony (using the same method) and when I played it, it was horrible on the eyes as where the camera moved around the frames got all jumpy and there were as if horizontal bars coming down the whole screen interfering with the video image.

I first thought there must've been something wrong with the handycam though I quickly discarded that thought as the AVIs captured from the DV tapes play perfectly on the PC. I have read somewhere about "frame drops" but I think it's not quite relevant considering what I later found out -

Later that night I put on another DVD made using the same method - it was playing in the same horrible way! It was then I realize it was all to do with the new DivX capable DVD player I purchased the other week. But I'm puzzled as to why the new DVD player plays everything else alright but when it comes to the DVD converted from DV Handycam AVIs the video quality is so appalling? My previous DVD player (non DivX support) played really smooth video when it comes to Handycam AVI converted DVDs.

Anyone had the same experience and maybe could give me a hint what to do? Thanks

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
If you have a DIVX capable DVD player there is no need to redo them to DVD format. You can burn the AVI as it is,. At least I can. If you haven't changed the type of DVD's you are using I wuld certainly go along that road.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi fozziebear, thank you for your reply.

Yes I understand what you're saying and I burn AVIs directly to blank DVD-Rs all the time and play them with no problem on my new DivX capable player.

However, the captured AVIs off my Sony DV Handycam are in very high quality. 1 hour and 15 mins of video can sure fit comfortably onto a blank DVD, but not when the AVIs' size total up to 16.5GB. So it seemed logical for me to convert the AVIs into DVD video format before burning. A standard DVD is also more welcomed when I send the precious memories to families and friends - lots of them haven't got DivX capable players yet.

Thanks for the reply all the same.
Chinofeliz