Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! numerical keypad asleep

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I've had to reformat a couple of times in the last week because of exceedingly slow operation (3 mins to open a window) and many freezes etc.

When reinstalling Windoze from the D drive (HP don't give you a CD version so you have to do a "system recovery") I must have entered the wrong answer to a question on the keyboard - and now the numerical keypad doesn't work, only the top row of numbers above the keyboard.

I know there's a way of changing back to the keypad but I just can't remember how to!

TIA

HP Pavilion desktop, 3.2GHz, 2.5GB RAM, W -XP home

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If your computer thinks your keyboard is a different type, some keys will be funny. Double check Start > Settings > Control Panel, open "Keyboard", open the "Hardware" tab and see if the keyboard you have listed there is different. Otherwise, I'm not too sure. Or you could try reformatting again, annoying, but pay attention to the questions it asks you...

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
HP include a "software repair" program, which I have just run. It gave the option of reinstalling the keyboard drivers, so I did - and the various function buttons like CD eject became active again after the reboot.

I also just remembered the "Num Lock" button - and the keypad is now working again! These comfusers are just so.... confusing!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Oh yeah, and make sure the "Num Lock" button is on...

You got it! :whistling:

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks anyway!